1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Second Base Spotlight

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. I've shot a few more games since I last posted. In these I concentrated a bit more on fielding rather than the pitching and catching that I normally do.

Tonight I've attached eleven photos focusing on second base.

One of the pleasures of focusing on second base is the acrobatics that often manifest themselves in the play.

#1 - Out-of-the-way ballet:
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 - Broken-up ballet:
    original.jpg

#3 - Falling-on-your-rump ballet:
    original.jpg

But sometimes the eloquence lies in a single fielding sequence.

#4 - It helps to field by sticking out your tongue?
    original.jpg

#5 & 6 - But then you have to make the throw -
    original.jpg

original.jpg

#7 & 8 - Another throw....ready, aim.... (in backlit relief) -
    original.jpg

original.jpg

#9 - sometimes at second base there is a clear out -
    original.jpg

#10 & 11 - and sometimes not -
    original.jpg

original.jpg

Enough of second base - the outfield in a few days. Hope you found these enjoyable, but criticism and critque are also welcome.

2. A lot of good action to be had around second for certain, especially when the runner is advancing on an infield grounder. Tough to capture well but you've shown us fine examples. I would like to see 7 and 8 with the background blown out instead but that's just me. Like the No. 1 shot best

3. Hi, Brooks. Glad you like most of them. On 7 & 8, are you saying you'd like the player to be brought up to full light, even at the expense of blowing out the outfield fence entirely? Not sure I agree, but I want to make sure I understand if that is what you are suggesting.

In any case, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

4. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Harry, I gotta agree with Brooks, nice series, but the players have to be exposed better in 7&8.

#4 is my favorite

5. I think, in the case of the backlit images, I would either the expose for the player, letting the background blow out, or expose for the background and have the player in stark silhouette.

6. Actually, the "stark silhouette" is how the camera exposed....I lightened it. I think bringing it all the way up would create too much noise. I actually like the silhouette, myself:

As shot -
    original.jpg

7. IsaacImage

IsaacImage

Mar 16, 2009
    Toronto
    like the #4

8. Two more votes for #4, which is certainly one of my favorites. Thanks guys!

9. Gort

Gort

Mar 10, 2008
    Phoenix
    Nice shots Harry. #4 is nice.

10. Thanks, Steve, glad you liked it.

11. Great catchs (pun intended ;)  ) My favorite of the bunch is #10 nice work Harry. Can't believe the season is almost over

12. I also agree. I will blow out a background to get a well lit face and uniform anytime.

13. Thanks, Pat. Yep college-league is over...except for the playoffs.

I just wasn't that interested in another "standard" shot, Steve. I liked the backlit effect...have plenty of others with full lighting. But then, I was shooting for myself and not for publication.

14. 10 and 11 he looks out to me :confused: :confused: :confused: 

15. Actually he was ruled safe, but I agree with you that he was out. Thought so at the time....had an ump who blew many calls this game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.