Second DSLR Body Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jklofft, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I generally carry and use both

56.1%
  2. I usually have it with me, but use it only occasionally

26.3%
  3. I use it only as an emergency back-up

12.3%
  4. It’s collecting dust on the shelf

5.3%
  1. If you own more than one DSLR, how you use the second body

I generally carry and use both
    I usually have it with me, but use it only occasionally
    I use it only as an emergency back-up
    It’s collecting dust on the shelf

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I don't which to check

I have two, but switch back and forth
    sometimes I take my D300
    sometimes for the city or lighter fare, I'll take my D50

edit : for vacations or extended trips, I will bring both...
    so I picked #1

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I generally carry 2 bodies and use both. In the past, I carried the D3 and D300. My new D700 allows me to carry 2) FX bodies mounted with 14-24 and 24-70, (or 70-200) both in FX.

4. I have two D300s but only carry the second body on shoots (air shows & birding) where my primary lens is the 300mm and mounted on a tripod. The 2nd body is around my neck and used with other lens like the 70-200mm or 28-70mm.

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    When I go out shooting for myself I usually just have one camera ( not just a DSLRs but a rangefinder or a medium format as well ). When shooting for a job I have at least 3 cameras : 2 DSLRs and whatever other one I feel like taking out :tongue:

6. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    "The big one" is for when I go out photographing stuff. "The small one" is my "always with me".

I never carry both at the same time but option 1 doesn't mention "at the same time". So I picked option 1 although it might not have been what you meant with it.

7. Both my bodies are in my bag (D200 with a lens mounted and D50 with no lens). If the need arises, I'll stick a lens on the 50 and have both cameras dangling around my neck and shoulder!

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    On commercial jobs my D2x is always with me for backup but the D3 gets all the use. For weddings and some events, I will use both rather than switch lenses.

9. Always have both with me, and usually carry both, with wide and longer lens naturally. Also in a hostile environment, it helps not to have to change the lens very often.

10. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I use sometimes 3 instead of swapping glass.

In a place like a drag strip with billowing clouds of burnt rubber the last thing you want is an open camera.

11. I don't always carry second body , but on a trip I always take it in case of camera failure, so I'll have a spare . At times I will put both around my neck, especially when things happen very fast , and I may miss a shot when changing lens.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    At a wedding or mitzvah I carry two bodies.

17-55 is almost always on one. My 50-150 or 12-24 is normally on the other unless I'm doing marco ring/flower , fisheye, or DOF shots.

13. My d70 gathered dust backing up my d200, because the d200 was so much better. When the d200's prices plummeted, I sold my d70 and bought a second d200. Now I keep the battery grip on one of them, power it with AA NiMH batteries, and use it for portraiture, product photography, and studio work. The other one is smaller/lighter, so I use it for events and casual purposes.

I take both bodies to weddings, but one of them stays in the bag as insurance. Otherwise, I only carry one of them with me. But both are fully charged and ready to go at all times, and they get equal use.

14. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    I use my D200 only when I go shooting nature and then I carry all of my gear with me.
    When I go for a walk I take my d40 only, maybe a cir pol too. The size of the d40 is great for everyday use.

15. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    When I'm shooting for myself, I generally just carry one body. When I do weddings or cover the Vikings, I carry 2. Back in the film days I always used 3 bodies at the games, but that was before zooms got to be a decent choice.

16. I always carry 2.
    The D3 is superglued to the 85 f/1.4 (until a 14-24 f/2.8 arrives maybe
    And on my D300 I usually have the 70-200 for that looooonger reach (then maybe switch it to the Beast).

17. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    If I'm shooting a job or out seriously taking photos for the day I'll have the D70 as my main with a long lens attached, the D40 will generally get a wider lens attached or be in the bag with no lens attached.

If I'm just out hiking or walking around I'll carry the D40 with the Sigma 18-200 attached.

18. For any paying shoot, I carry the D300 a and D50. For weddings or other shoots where there is no second chance, I think a 2nd body is mandatory. I know I can salvage a shoot if my primary body tanks on me.

For casual shooting, I just carry the D50. It's light and fun and takes great photos (which is kinda important to me). It, like the D40, is a perfect vacation DSLR, as it won't weigh me down and turn my trip into a mobile photo shoot. It's one of the best photographic investments that I've made.

19. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I have two D2H bodies and a D200. I use all three at the same time sometimes with three different lenses. I do not consider any of them to be a backup. They all have their specific uses, so I can’t even vote in the poll. No option. :frown:

20. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    D2x and S5 go out the door with me every morning. Sometimes I will add a video camera as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.