Second time ever I have Made a B&W image (large image)

Takakkaw Falls, Yoho National Park, B. C.

13th highest in the world ~ 1200 feet-ish total drop. There are a couple of cataracts up top that are not visible from the bottom. There is a light colored stone feature immediately below the sky with just a tiny bit of white from one of the upper cataracts visible

takakaw B&W.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There was no detail in the water at the top as it is pouring out like a culvert running at highest capacity, kinda like those photos you see of hydro electric dams venting water near the bottom of the dam, the water is deep and moving fast. the first drop you see is into a bowl like structure (think of a ski jump) feature and the water actually gets shot out from the cliff face quite a way (I've heard 25-30 meters) before it starts to fall down the cliff. When I first got there, I was concerned a little about what shutter speed to use to "creamify" the water, but the water coming down the cliff face is dropping 900 odd feet and the air it is falling through and the spray from contacting the rock is doing the creamify thing quite well on it own. shutter speed was 1/160th. Water source is a huge glacier that is melting the the mid-June heat of the day.

Yoho is one of my favorite spots on the planet. It's not just the amount of water that is making the top of the waterfall plain; it's also the relatively flat light on it.

I've got two photos of the waterfall, one taken from the Iceline Trail. The light in one of them is similar to the light in yours and with the same results. The other one taken from the Iceline Trail is in better light. The two were captured six days apart, so the volume of water hadn't changed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for your kind words, Bart. I had a vision in my mind of pre-color landscape shots i'd seen so I tried to cook my image to get the same look. I'm pleased with my results.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom