Second try at Studio Lighting...

Discussion in 'People' started by Jim Strathearn, Jul 1, 2007.

1. I had an opportunity to have my niece and her fiancé pose for me yesterday. This is the first time I've taken my gear on location and I didn't get the same results that I got at home. I think there was too much ambient light (or lack of skills...). Anyway, here are a few that I liked:

[​IMG]

Is the hand distracting?
    [​IMG]

I had a reflector on their left, and had a fill light directly behind me. (Key light 45 degrees on their right and a hair light on the keylight side from behind where the background was.) I still think it dame out too contrasty. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice
    Looks like a magenta cast
    Could be here:>))))

3. Thanks Gale.

Do you see a magenta cast on all three?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes Jim

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Beautiful young lady and second time must be the charm....numbers 1 and 2 are nicely lit.

Yes....the hand is a little distracting, but for me it's not a deal breaker.

#3 could have used a little more power subjects left.....your male subject is morphing in to the BG. I'd try a more centrally located hairlight too. I see it's effects a bit too strong on her head and not uniformly enough on his.

6. You got some modeling on her face with the light and I quite like #2. You might try toning down her hand just a little so it doesn't play quite as large a part in the image. On #3, I find the light to be unbalanced between the lady and the gentleman. He is much more prominant in the image than she is. I'm with Stuart on the hair light but must admit that I struggle with that as well when shooting two people.

7. Thanks Gale.

Thanks Stuart. This was my first attempt using a hair light and frankly, it's far more involved that I thought. I used a 20 degree honeycomb, which seemed to work for a single subject. I should have switched to a 30 or 40 degree when we started doing multiples. We kept switching between singles and doubles. I should have just set up one, then setup the other separately. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Gordon. Struggle certainly is an accurate definition of the hair light for me! But when it falls in place, it makes a huge and positive difference... Thanks for commenting!