Second try at volleyball (D200 ISO 3200)

OK. This is my second try at this sport. I have seen a number of great shot that I would like to emulate. Unfortunately, the light really, really was bad and even at 3200 ISO I could only get 1/160 to 1/200 on the shutter.

A small amount of Neat Image NR on these, plus a tiny bit of levels, cropping, size reduction, and a bit of sharpening.

C&C welcomed. Especially on my vantage point. What should I strive for?

370817190_oYyBU-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

370817222_xru7y-X3.jpg

370817168_myUz3-X3.jpg

Joe, these are pretty good.

I've just about given up on my daughter's middle school volleyball games. The gym is so dark, and I can't seem to get in a good location to capture the action. Last outing of mine had almost no keepers.

Congrats.

Mitch, shooting in the

less than poorly lit gym at our school is a tremendous challenge. I am shooting at the very end of the capability of the equipment I own. But, it is possible to get some keepers, and I did feel I had made progress last night.

A faster lens would be very beneficial. My 50mm f/1.4 did well, but is too wide. An 85mm f/1.8 would probably be a more reasonable lens for this type of shooting. It would be nice to add a flash, but the coaches asked that I not do so.

Joe,
Will they let you flash if you bounce it and don't fire directly?

I love the 50mm for volleyball. I usually stand just behind the up-ref and shoot from there, standing at their level and low on ground shooting up.

When you travel to other gyms (like Holy Family), the 17-55 at 17mm on the floor shooting a bit up is really cool.

Cindy

Thanks for the commenmts, Cindy.

I asked the coach about flash, and he would rather it not be used. That just leaves a large aperture.

I tried the 50mm 1.4 tonight at another game, and find it a bit wide. I did have some good luck with my 105 f/2.5 Ai-S, though. I will post a few as soon as I get them processed.

It looks like an 85mm f/1.8 , or certainly a 1.4 would be an ideal length and aperture.

Latest threads

Top Bottom