Secretary Bird

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DanielD, Jul 7, 2008.

1. 327477977_rdowP-O.jpg

That what these big birds are called in German. As I didn't found it in the Wikipedia yet, I cannot provide the English name right now - maybe some of you know it.
    The colors of the birds head are fascinating me. They're really that intense!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  2. Don't know the name of that one ,

but what a great shot,, intense eyes...

3. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
  4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    gg what a shot
    you gotta share the setup with us
    (the exif is attached)
    500/4 ?

5. Thanks Glen, and thanks Pia for telling the name. It was taken in a zoo also, I was to tired that evening to read the sign where the bird lives in the wild.

6. Thanks Randy. The bird was in a cage at the zoo standing on a wooden block always bowing down to clean its feathers, so the main ingridient in this picture was patience to wait for the right moment where it lifts its head in to my (expected) framing with enough time to AF and shoot.
    Lens was Sigma 500/4.5 on monopod, photog holding his breath.
    (Manual exposure (mainly because Nikon crippled the Auto ISO to 1/250, see EXIF for the rest).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  7. Great Shot Dan!!!

8. Great shot Daniel! I've seen these birds in southern Africa and they are quite impressive

9. That is a fine portrait, nicely done.

10. From one Daniel to another...that is one fantastic shot!!

11. Daniel,
    I've only shot a handful of shots with supreme clarity such as this, I would love to also own that lens and have been trying to pull everystring imaginable the past coupla weeks to get one. excellent shot. Kevin P.

12. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    An outstanding capture - the detail is exquisite.

Doesn't look like a bird to be trifled with!