Secrets--follow up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pbenedic, May 18, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks to whomever posted the "secret" about SB800 "BL" mode. I decided to give it a try, and I'm pretty impressed. When the SB800 is mounted on-camera, scroll through the modes until both "FP" and "BL" are shown. You're now in "balanced fill" mode WITH high speed synch enabled. I never knew that there was a "BL" mode at all, and I have no idea how this changes the flash operation compared to other modes (the manual says it "limits the output"). These photos are not great in their own right, but they did impress me in that they are shot AGAINST a bright background, but pretty wide open, hence at very fast shutter speeds. I was impressed at the really nice fill light that the SB800 added (without "blowing" anything, despite very bright conditions) when using this "secret".
    #1 is 1/2000th @f4 (ISO 280)

#2 is 1/5000th @f4, (even more impressive, in that I deliberately cranked the ISO to 800, to make an even faster shutter speed--pretty decent quality, eh?(no noise reduction used)). --Pat B
    View attachment 9038

2. marc

marc Guest

can you tell us what forum or give a link to your topic?
    i would like to read it
    thanks

3. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Well, it was right here at the cafe under the D2xtasy category. Subject is Secrets about the D2X but the real question was about D2X features found while shooting. Not a lot of discussion other than to point out the feature (and the flash must be attached to the camera to see the BL). I use TTL BP.
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=3997

Pbenedic did just as well here to demonstrate its value.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Always good to have the basic pointed out again. There are so many
    options with the cameras and flashes now a days it's easy to forget what
    does what. Not really a secret since it's step #1 in the manual for setting
    the SB-800's flash mode.

5. I shoot the same way as Larry (TTL BP) and with my camera in manual or aperature priority and spot metering, I have full control over the background. If I want it darker I underexpose the background and the flash gives the subject perfect exposure. If I want the background lighter I move the EV in the + direction. If the shutter speed is going to be over 1/250th I enable the FP for high speed sync.

6. Hmm... hopefully someone can clarify this for me since I lost my manual.

My understanding was that FP mode was auto-enabled, and while I've never seen it show up on any occasion, I also have never "found" that setting by scrolling through the modes on the SB-800 and when in shutter priority, I can only sync up to 1/250.

How do I get into FP mode?

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    SB-800 manual, page 60

"You cannot set the auto FP High Speed sync mode on the SB-800 directly, but must be set on the camera."

And you'll say, no wonder I couldn't find the blasted thing :D

8. Thanks! This is what threw me off:

9. One thing to keep in mind when using the FP mode is that the flash loses the equivalent of 2 stops of light. Not a problem when shooting close things but for those further away; i.e., sporting events, etc., this could lead to underexposure of the subject.

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    It's actually the default mode of the flash when you stick it on the camera. Reset it, put it on the camera and turn it on. You'll see [TTL][BL].

It's not really for backlit subjects (use [TTL] for that). It's more for side or top lit subjects where part of the subject is in the shadow - it helps lighten the shadow by filling it in. I think it's around 1 stop below metered if I remember correctly.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    go download a pdf Manual. Search google. They are out there

www.digitaldungus.com Good site by the way.
    might have it.

The D100 manual is there. Downloaded it for a friend that bought Rich's D100.

12. Can this also be applied to the SB600 by any chance.