Security cameras and geolocation.

I recently replaced my Samsung S6 on Android 5 with a Samsung A10 running Android 9 so I could get the Alexa app working.
BUT: Now my Eufycam app is much slower on reporting that I have left the geofencing zone. I have been through multiple settings during troubleshooting
through Samsung and Eufycam who both suggested it was a problem with notifications - but now I'm pretty sure it is something to do with GPS data and how
often it refreshes perhaps.
My conclusion is based on the fact that when I return home I almost instantly get a notification "someone has been spotted" by my front camera - but
it takes another 15 minutes of being home before I get alerted that geofencing has switched to home mode.
With my Samsung S6 geofencing switched within seconds of leaving 'the zone'. Has anyone got any idea why the newer phone would give issues with
GPS data being so slow?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It could be the cleverer power saving that has been added.
On my S8+ I would go to Device Care, and ask to see the sleeping apps. Is that software listed as needing to stay awake - it needs to be.
If not press Add and add it. That way it won't be allowed to go to sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It could be the cleverer power saving that has been added.
On my S8+ I would go to Device Care, and ask to see the sleeping apps. Is that software listed as needing to stay awake - it needs to be.
If not press Add and add it. That way it won't be allowed to go to sleep.
Thanks, it's not going to sleep because it can send me a notification that someone has been spotted when I get home - it's the geo location that takes another 15 minutes to register.

Those settings are not about the phone going to sleep. They are about specific apps dozing off. That can include GPS etc. I had a similar problem myself with a mapping program.
I just received a few questions from the support team this morning and they asked me to check if I have Google Maps and what permissions. It has 'location' ticked and perhaps, as you say, maybe it uses Google maps for location and that is going to sleep?

Under "sleeping apps" Google maps is not mentioned. I've also gone into power settings and disabled the option to put ANY apps to sleep.
The annoying thing about new software is that the interface is always different from the tutorials online which involves digging deeper to find various settings - but I've gotten quite proficient at finding 'weird settings' on this phone while trying to solve this problem.
When we were robbed a few months ago it was due to someone sitting watching and waiting for us to leave home - a 10 minute delay in geofencing would mean that would still have time to get in before the system is armed.

Yep. "Eufcam" has all the needed permissions along with the phone not being able to put it to sleep - which is why it still has the ability to instantly alert me when it detects me walking down the driveway - or when my wife takes the dog out, I can still see her walking around on the camera.

So now no apps are allowed to sleep, is it working as it should?
No. I've also been in contact with Eufy support who reply every second day. They have asked about my firmware version on the Homebase hub etc. They are pretty helpful. A week ago I changed settings so no apps could sleep and the fault persists.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom