1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Security certificate error

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Pa, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM.

1. When I try to send mail using Mozilla Thunderbird this evening I get this pop-up:

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 4.46.28 PM.
    At the same time, the main Thunderbird window shows this pop-up:

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 9.31.59 PM.

I recognize that it has something to do with the Comcast Mail server not looking right to the local mail client, but I don't know what to do about it.

Any suggestions?

2. Check your system clock Jim. I had this once and somehow my clock had drifted back 5 years.

3. Thanks, but that's not it. It happens on all three computers in the household.

4. Problem appears to have cleared up without any action from me.

5. Hmmm, pre Trump . . . . perhaps Paleolithic?

6. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    This is a COMCAST mail server problem. Your computer communicates with COMCAST mail servers over "secure" connections encrypted with keys that are negotiated between the two. The first part of the negotiation involves a security certificate on the mail server that the client evaluates to trust or not trust. It seems your client didn't trust that certificate. In my experience this can happen because the certificate "server" expired or because the server got a new certificate from a "certificate authority" that the client is not yet aware of and thus cannot yet evaluate for trust.

Based on the error in the pop-up saying "Outdated Information", I am betting the COMCAST mail server certificate expired and needed updating, and COMCAST did just that to resolve the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.