Sedona/Arches

So, my plans are set. I am looking for suggestions as to specific places to visit (photographically speaking, of course!) at each place. For example, in Arches, there is a specific arch that is popular to photograph... which is it? And ik've never been to Sedona... I know it's beautiful because I've seen the pics, but any specific locations? Thanks!

Shaun, for Sedona, check out the Natural Slide, it is beautiful.

Thanks... I hadn't come across that in my research. I will add it to my list.

In Arches, Delicate Arch is the iconic one - there are others, but Delicate is the one you see in advertisements/posters/postcards most often.

Sean

Ok, good to know... I did some research last night, and I think the one I was thinking of was Mesa Arch, but I also recognized Delicate Arch... I will try to visit both.

On the quickest route between Sedona and Arches is Monument Valley.

Thanks, Nick... you just shot my plans to pieces! :eek: :tongue: I want to visit Monument Valley in the worst way, but I had thought it was out of the way... now I'm going to have to rethink my plans and see how long it takes to get there from one place or the other, because that would HAVE to be a photo stop, and NOT a drive through view.

mesa arch

cl122w.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

or corona arch

canyonpotache59.jpg

mesa arch

cl122w.jpg

Yeah, Mesa Arch is the one with the incredible lighting on it... is that sunrise or sunset?

Shaun,

Just sent you a PM - can't make it to Moab for Easter.

Mesa Arch is in Canyonlands, not Arches - killer shot at sunrise as
Washer Woman is backlit framed in Mesa Arch. Get there early, last time I went, I was there an hour before sunrise and there were already 5-6 photogs set up!

As far as Arches goes, I like to go down into the "fins" out in Devil's Garden. It's a fairly esy hike (2 mile ea. way ?) down the trail with good opportunities for scenic panoramas and macro shots.

Here's some shots of mine a couple of Easter Weekends ago.
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=156769&highlight=canyonlands

Have fun,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaun,

Just sent you a PM - can't make it to Moab for Easter.

Mesa Arch is in Canyonlands, not Arches - killer shot at sunrise as
Washer Woman is backlit framed in Mesa Arch. Get there early, last time I went, I was there an hour before sunrise and there were already 5-6 photogs set up!

As far as Arches goes, I like to go down into the "fins" out in Devil's Garden. It's a fairly esy hike (2 mile ea. way ?) down the trail with good opportunities for scenic panoramas and macro shots.

Here's some shots of mine a couple of Easter Weekends ago.
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=156769&highlight=canyonlands

Have fun,
Dave

Thanks, Dave... great info! Exactly what I was looking for... I'm glad I know Mesa Arch is in Canyonlands... that is kind of ironic... the main arch I want to photograph is not in Arches... :tongue: PM sent back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom