Sedona, Flagstaff- any favorite spots?

We will be spending a week between Sedona and Flagstaff in 2 weeks. Just a family vacation- lightweight hiking, tourist stuff. Not really a photo expedition. I will have some time to photograph some of the famous landscapes, but thought I would ask about any favorites. Any locals out there with any hints?
Thanks
Gary

We camped there last spring. One morning, I went up Schnebly Hill Road. The view was great, but the lighting was very difficult as I don't have any filters.

5788891299_bda301f87b_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/url] DSC_1142 by Fight On!, on Flickr[/IMG]

5788891355_865754f34b_z.jpg
[/url] DSC_1149 by Fight On!, on Flickr[/IMG]

One evening, I took a drive down the 89? across town from where we were staying. I remember turning left at a high school, I think, and finding a park (state park?). I hiked along the river, and got a nice view of what I think was Cathedral Rock.

5789445068_788ca9b09b_z.jpg
[/url] DSC_1271 by Fight On!, on Flickr[/IMG]

But the sky was boring, and the river was actually too full of water... it didn't look good with a long exposure, so I did mostly low angle stuff. There is a ton of other places to go around there, for driving, hiking, etc. We avoided the town itself... too touristy! Sorry I can't be more specific. I have a bad habit of not writing these things down for later reference! :redface: Pardon the quality of the pics... uber fast processing just to show you some of the places. I didn't really come away with anything I could be happy with.

Thye have this outfit in town, Pink Jeep Tours. I would avoid their regular tours but when I was there I was able to hire a jeep + driver who did a personal tour for us.

337752079_VNe4U-X2.jpg

I wish I'd seen this earlier, too! My wife and I have been 5 times now including our weeding in 2006. We did the jeep tour with our wedding party. After they all cleared out, we stayed another week and did a heli tour of the Grand Canyon. Two years prior to that we did a hot air balloon trip out of Sedona. The place is so incredible! We stay at Amara Creekside Resort (on Oak Creek) in Old Sedona. It's on hwy 81A and that goes all the way to Flagg. It's a beautiful and fun drive - especially in a sport car or motorcycle! It goes through Oak Creek Canyon.

Another fun daytrip is renting a Tomcar and driving it around all day. We kept one for about ten hours and saw all sorts of stuff we couldn't have gotten to otherwise (including part of the Broken Arrow Trail).

I do hope you decided to take some photo gear. My first three times out there I didn't have a digital slr yet; only a little Canon P/S and it about killed me! I don't know why I chose NOT to take my F5 the second time. I was just totally out of the habit or interest of shooting film, I guess. I really wish I had. The two subsequent trips out there when I had my D200, I took close to a thousand pictures. I lost them all on a bad HD two years ago. I have a few low res jpgs that we emailed to people, but aside from the three that I printed, they're gone now. We hope to get back in a few years and leave the toddler at home. Sedona is our favorite place! Look forward to reading about your trip when you get back.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom