Seeing in Black and White

I watched the first two minutes and was very impressed: She immediately gets to the point, explains it concisely, rationally, and with conviction, and seems highly prepared. If the rest of the video is as compelling, I'm sure it can be quite helpful.

My complaint about those B&H videos is that they provide no external information indicating where each section of the discussion begins. Imagine listening to a one-hour CD of music with no indexing when you want to focus on a piece somewhere in the middle. That's what this video format is like except that it's two hours.

Definitely interesting, Bookmarked.
She did seem a bit young for having worked so intensively with b&w film.
Or perhaps that's just my impression. Everything is relative :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Age is relative, as we both know :rolleyes:
I believe she graduated with her undergraduate degree some 25 years ago, so that would make her late 40s. I took a weekend workshop from the Rocky Mountain School of Photography 15 or so years ago, and she was one of about 6-7 instructors. She did a session on B&W (which back then, I was NOT interested in) and one on creativity, which was fun.

Thanks for sharing. Had a quick look and will definitely watch the entire content. A bit too much Gruner Veltliner imbibed at the moment to capture my full attention. I would like to improve my skill level for this. My B&W tones suck for the most part.

Thanks for sharing. Had a quick look and will definitely watch the entire content. A bit too much Gruner Veltliner imbibed at the moment to capture my full attention. I would like to improve my skill level for this. My B&W tones suck for the most part.
One of my favorite summer whites!

I watched about 1/2 of the video, yes after having a glass or two of wine.
Pretty basic stuff, but if you do not know the basics of tonality and black and white it would at least open your eyes to think about it. I shot black and white for years, so nothing was new here. Still, pretty nicely done and worth the time, especially if black and white is somewhat new to your art making.
Gary

I watched about 1/2 of the video, yes after having a glass or two of wine.
Pretty basic stuff, but if you do not know the basics of tonality and black and white it would at least open your eyes to think about it. I shot black and white for years, so nothing was new here. Still, pretty nicely done and worth the time, especially if black and white is somewhat new to your art making.
Gary
Gary, I enjoy your comments as much as I enjoy your pictures. You are indeed a master at fine B&W work. Just watched a short video about John Sexton, one of Ansel's assistants, who said the best way to enjoy a picture is to hold it, unframed, in your hands, in good light, while drinking a good glass of wine!
Cheers.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom