"Seeing The World Through A Single Lens"

"Seeing The World Through A Single Lens"

Some time ago, I came into the possession of a Nikkor 35mm f/2 AIS lens. At first, my intent was to sell the lens and put the resulting money back into my photography equipment. Upon further reflection and being inspired by the Pay it forward "US CAMERA 1955" thread by the Nikon Cafés Coresounder, I decided to share the lens.

I was thinking that it would be kind of interesting to see how others “See Their World Through The Same Piece Of Glass”. What kind of images would it produce in the hands of another? Is the quality of an image in the equipment? Or is it in the Photographer?

I wanted to send the lens out into the world and see what images you produce with the same piece of glass. The resulting images could be priceless. So, here we go…

RULES:

1.) You must approach this with the intent to have FUN.
2.) You must be willing to pay for the forward (postage) to the next member in line.
3.) Keep the lens for one week or less.
4.) If the postage is more than the normal U.S. Mail to the person you will be forwarding it to…that person needs to help out with the postage.
5.) Bookmark this page, so you will have the list of the next in line.
6.) Please share your images in the post. The main reason for this is to allow everyone to see where the lens is going and what it is “seeing”.
7.) Please take care of the Lens, although it does not have a lot of retail value, it is mine and you are borrowing it.

** Pay it forward by US Mail, it will only be a few dollars.

** Attention Overseas people- If you would like to participate, you will have to pay shipping to receive it and ship it to the next in line.

O.K. the first person that responded to my original post, gets the lens first. I will start it out the shipping process. The next person to post, will get the lens next. And so on…I will start with a list from the original post.

If there are any disputes in the shipping, I bear no responsibility, nor does Nikon Cafe.. If we get down to no one else wanting this, I will pay for the return back to me.

If I have missed anything here, please let me know...... Enjoy! This is meant to be fun!

Below is the list...after you have used the lens, look at the list to see who receives it next. Use the members list to find that member and send them a private message to get a mailing address and mail it to them.

If you change your mind and would like to be removed from the list, please send me a personal message and I will update the list accordingly.

*Note- Please make a post on this thread when you receive and mail the lens, so I can update this post and keep track of who has it.

Members Currently On List.

1.) nuccifamily: Anthony *** Done ***
2.) sypher: Brian *** Done ***
3.) chrismead: Chris *** Done ***
4.) cotdt *** Done ***
5.) Scottn_photo: Scott *** Done ***
6.) Los Azules: Arthur *** Did not respond ***
7.) Reptile Guy: Shaun *** Done ***
8.) Sanford504 *** Did not respond ***
9.) Dave: Dave *** Done ***
10.) Frank: Frank *** Withdrawn by request***
11.) WCBike *** done ***
12.) aldirtfarmer: Joe *** done ***
13.) FotoPhocus: Ryan ** done**
14.) paradiddle: Gary ** done **
15.) underitall: Tom ***Withdrawn by request***
16.) speen ** done **
17.) KayB ** done **
18.) Alan: Alan ** done **
19.) BostonRott: Gretchen ** done **
20.) bett: Roger ** done **
21.) lanthier: Rich ** done **
22.) Northwood: Kent ** done **
23.) Ping279: Nathan ** done **
24.) Mr. Graceful: Rich G. ** done **
25.) sonyam: Sonya ** done **
26.) czechmark: Paul O. **done **

Europe
jani.kotakoski: Jani
Harry S. Vienna, AUSTRIA *shipped lens 3/31/10*
JPS Geneva, Switzerland
Bateman Amberg, Germany
Mike66 Darmstadt (APO AE), Germany
jani.kotakoski: Jani

28.) latazyo: Leighton *** Withdrawn by request***
29.) Vernon t: Vernon
30.) BourbonCowboy: Mark
31.) mehta916: Yash
32.) Neige: Stilson
33.) BellaB:
34.) DanWhite: Dan
35.) BobW: Bob
36.) sjlarue: Steve
37.) FM Bob: Bob
38.) pirahnah3: Jim
39.) lr0868: Lisa
40.) Yvette: Yvette
41.) Cima2oo7: Mark
42.) Jon Neely: Jon
43.) amanita: Ales
44.) vandrv: Joe
45.) Connahhh: Connor
46.) JohnR: John
47.) InLimbo87: Ian
48.) Diddlbiker: Bart
49.) rbalston: Brad
50.) Chayelle: Cheryle
51.) Jose Rivera: Jose
52.) archer182: Thad
53.) bronicabill: Bill
54.) eaglez: Darren
55.) jvlata: Jorge
56.) tssphoto: Scott
57.) TommyO: Tom
58.) WolfCamp: Robert

Australia
59) mrdenn1s
60) axle01
61) intruder61
62) Dave67

New Zealand
63) Philinnz
Lens Sign up now Closed: It will take a bit of time to get through everyone.

I would like to take the time to thank JohnR for his involvement in this project. He voluntarily stepped up to make sure the lens is going where it should in a timely manner. Thank you very much John, the assistance is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to start this off, I have shot a few pics around my town (Albany, Oregon) with this lens...

There's nothing really special about Albany. It's a town of approximately 50k people situated in the Mid-Willamette Valley here in Oregon. The only thing that might make us stand out at all is that Albany is credited by historians and architects with having the most varied collection of historic buildings in Oregon. So there you go.....

I was trying to think of a common item or place that everybody would have in their town or near them.... a common theme that we could ask every body to take at least one shot of, but I drew a blank. If anybody has a suggestion for a common theme. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

ALL OF THESE WERE SHOT WITH THE 35MM F/2 AIS

albany1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

albany2.jpg

albany4.jpg

albany5.jpg

albany6.jpg

mann1.jpg

albany10.jpg

albany11.jpg

albany12.jpg

Thanks Paul. This is going to be interesting to see it grow. One suggestion for common place would be a park of some sort. And what about our settings, do you want to include that info? BTW, great shots. I really like the feel of the last two.

This was a really awesome plan and I look forward to seeing all the pictures and getting to take some of my own.

First off Paul, I would like to thank you for being willing to share your lens and coming up with this idea.

Second I would like to thank all the members that took him up on his offer. I can't wait to see how these pictures turn out!

Thanks Paul. This is going to be interesting to see it grow. One suggestion for common place would be a park of some sort. And what about our settings, do you want to include that info? BTW, great shots. I really like the feel of the last two.

Thanks Alan, I think this should be interesting as well. I know my pictures aren't too exciting, but hey, its a start. I liked the feel of the B&W as well. I took them last night around 2 A.M.

The park idea is not a bad one. There are soo many different types of parks. Amusement, Water, City, State, County.... lot's of types. Sounds good to me! Use Your imagination.:biggrin:

This ought to be a really great project. Looking forward to seeing just what developes.
Thanks Paul.

Thanks for your support Sanford.

This was a really awesome plan and I look forward to seeing all the pictures and getting to take some of my own.

First off Paul, I would like to thank you for being willing to share your lens and coming up with this idea.

Second I would like to thank all the members that took him up on his offer. I can't wait to see how these pictures turn out!

Scott, it is my pleasure to do this. I have seen so much talent and different views in these forums, I would like to see what one common lens will produce!

Yes, thanks again Paul! Can't wait to receive the lens! :smile:

No problem Anthony.... The lens goes in the mail tomorrow!

Cool Idea! It's going to be fun to see where this goes.
Can you sign me up Paul?

Consider yourself signed!:biggrin:

Nice kick off, Paul. :smile:

Thank you very much for a great idea and for sharing your lens. Can't wait to see all the photos from around the world.

Frank, should be a lot of fun!

Good deal...

Let the games begin!

Don

I agree Don!:biggrin:

Great idea Paul. Include me if you don't mind another Oregon location.
BTW - Excellent shots. I really like the night shots especially that Tattoo storefront and Court House.
-Kent

Great idea Paul. Include me if you don't mind another Oregon location.
BTW - Excellent shots. I really like the night shots especially that storefront and Court House.
-Kent

Thanks Kent.
I don't mind having another Oregonian on the list. Everybody is welcome! I have updated the list with your name. Thanks for getting involved.

Paul,
Glad to have you join Us! There's always room for another Oregonian!

From your screen name, I take it you are Czech. I am as well. My Grandfather was full blooded Czech and still spoke it. A few years ago I had the opportunity to go to the Czech Republic. Prague is wonderful. It is probably the nicest city I have ever been to.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul,

Please include me on the list. I currently live in New Jersey, but grew up closer to you in Mount Angel.

Regards,

Been a lurker for a while but finally registered, this is my first post, and all i have to say is I think what your doing is amazing. keep up the good spirit of sharing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom