Seeking Advice on Best SD Cards for D90

I'm replacing my D40 with a D90 for my compact body.
While the D90 will be used primarily for casual snaps and travel, I do plan on using it for soccer when the light is decent.
It seems that the Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/s SDHC cards are by far the fastest cards with the D90, but they seem to demand a huge price premium. I wonder whether they are overkill for my needs?
I shoot raw and will usually burst 4-5 frames at a time.
Does anyone have experience using lesser SDHC cards for capturing action with their D90?
If so, do you have any recommendations.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Page 262 in the manual states the buffer capacity for each file size. The footnotes note that High ISO NR and active D-lighiting will affect the buffer capcity. Here is a quote from a review. I have no idea how true it is. GH

"The D90 is the first camera that can take advantage of SanDisk's new 30MB/sec Extreme III SDHC memory cards. In our lab tests, it captured 54 full-sized Fine-quality JPEGs in 12 seconds for an average of 4.5 fps, just as Nikon claims. Shooting RAW, we got 9 frames in 2 seconds before the buffer filled up, again verifying Nikon's 4.5- fps spec. And with this new card, the D90's buffer clears so quickly that the burst is like the Energizer Bunny -- it just keeps going and going. Slip any other SDHC card into the camera, and you can count on only about 13 JPEGs before the buffer fills. As with any DSLR, the number of images you get in a burst decreases as you raise the ISO, since the file size typically increases. Our tests were performed at ISO 200, the camera's lowest setting in the normal ISO range"

look here:

www.robgalbraith.com

Or just go get the new Extremem III 30mb/sec editions. The great thing is that If you buy 3 new at $74 each you get $30 each back on the 8gb cards.
It's beginning to look like the Extreme III 30mb/s edition cards are the only game in town for burst shooting.
I'm used to the cheaper CF memory prices, so even with the Sandisk rebates the price of fast and capable memory has me a bit stunned.

Keep an eye out for SanDisk rebates. I got a 3-pack of 4 GB 30 mb/sec Extreme III from Adorama (I think it was Adorama, but I might be wrong) for ~$5/each after rebate (and this post reminded me to check my rebate status - they just mailed it out)....I think SanDisk puts out rebates often, so keep an eye out. I also grabbed an 8 GB Extreme III card from Best Buy a while back for <$30. Both pretty good deals.

Keep www.slickdeals.net on your radar..SD card deals are posted often.

I do plan on using it for soccer when the light is decent.

I shoot raw and will usually burst 4-5 frames at a time.
Why not just shoot JPEG for this and avoid all the trouble and expense? Outdoors, good light, why bother? I thought for sure you were trying to push it for some indoor gymnastics stuff in nasty light and high ISO trying to get some more DX reach. :confused:

Real Name
David
I got a pair of PNY class 6 cards and use them in my D90 at weddings shooting RAW. I haven't had any problems with the speed, but as you can see from the link I included they are much slower than the Extreme III's.

And the none 30mb/sec cards are about the next best thing and they are much less (and they still qualify for the rebate). BuyDig has the 30mb/sec cards at $65 and the older extreme III's for $49 both prices before rebate for 8gb cards. (or about $5 less then B&H). Of note, Amazon is not listed on the rebate form available at B&H and BuyDig.

Keep an eye out for SanDisk rebates. I got a 3-pack of 4 GB 30 mb/sec Extreme III from Adorama (I think it was Adorama, but I might be wrong) for ~$5/each after rebate (and this post reminded me to check my rebate status - they just mailed it out)....I think SanDisk puts out rebates often, so keep an eye out. I also grabbed an 8 GB Extreme III card from Best Buy a while back for <$30. Both pretty good deals.

Keep www.slickdeals.net on your radar..SD card deals are posted often.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal!
The current Sandisk rebate program doesn't seem as generous. http://www.abesofmaine.com/abeimg/rebates/q3 2009 extreme mir_high res.pdf Still better than nothing.

Why not just shoot JPEG for this and avoid all the trouble and expense? Outdoors, good light, why bother? I thought for sure you were trying to push it for some indoor gymnastics stuff in nasty light and high ISO trying to get some more DX reach. :confused:
I hadn't thought of that. :redface:
I do like to tinker in PP, but the soccer shooting that I envision isn't anything critical.
You've given me some food for thought, Steve. Thanks.
I have 4gb of slower SD memory that I was using with my D40.
Maybe I'll wait until the D90 arrives later this week and see just how slow (or fast) burst shooting is with these older cards.
I will want to get some more gb's of storage for the larger D90 files, but the 30mb/s Extreme III' command a huge premium even with the rebates. Or at least at the sellers I've seen.

i have both the extream II (in my d40) and the extream III in my D90

i wanted to see the differenance......... HUGE diff!!!! worth the money :eek::eek::eek:

the extream II card stayed in the camer for about 5 minutes

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom