Seeking critique on natural light portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by Kevin Scott, Jun 11, 2005.

1. I'm basically a beginner with portraiture and seeking to continually get better. While I am waiting for my studio strobes, I decided to try a natural light portrait of my 5 yr old daughter. I couldn't quite get the correct angle of light that I had hoped but was fairly pleased with this result.

Would like to receive critiques on what I can improve on. Is there too much of a head tilt? Is the lighting terrible? She has very fine flyaway hair so I can't do much about that. It's difficult for me to "see" things objectively when I'm viewing my own daughter's photos so any help would be appreciated.

I added a vignette to the photo but didn't really like it so this example is without. Does it need one? Generally speaking is it a pleasing portrait? Any feedback is appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Forgot to mention the shooting details:
    Nikon D2X
    85mm f1.4
    Aperture priority
    1/60 @ f2
    ISO 160
    Center Weight Average
    Handheld

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,
    I gotta go with Paul on this.

Beautiful Dauthter.
    Perhaps a tad less til on head. Look at cheeks and one eye.

I can't tell on skin tone...Don't know what it really is. My monitor (old) tends to see more red than I like and am constantly have to fix.

Yes Cheuk is truly an expert.

Jarrell Conley spent quite a bit of time asking him questions.If that tells you anything about Chuck. I followed Jarrels questions for a good long time.

You have chosen on of the most difficult types of photography. Weddings too I might add.

Jarrell uses alot of natural light. But softer light of the day.

Sure hope your daughters like to work with you on posing a pictures, because they are beautiful.

5. Hi Paul and Gale! Thanks so much for your thoughts.

I went back to the original and noticed the highlights aren't hot on her face. So I attempted to replicate my pp steps and discovered that they became exagerated during my levels adjustment. I'll plan to go back and reprocess it and not shift my highlights sidebar in so far.

As for the tilt: She's beginning to enjoy being in front of the camera a little too much, me thinks. She needs little direction and just poses, coming up with all kinds on her own. Most are exagerated but I snap anyway. I can fix the tilt by rotating the crop somewhat. I played around with that some earlier.

As for the stare, I can't do much about that one. It's funny because it was the eyes that are the compelling force for me in this shot. Of course I'm jaded but when I get shots when her eyes are a certain way, I just can't get past them and lose sight of everything else. This might be one of those times. That's why I wanted input from others.

I really do appreciate your feedback. I don't think I'd have the nerve to have Chuck critique this one, knowing full well it's far short on the technical side. Maybe once I get my studio lights and get more comfortable then I'll do it but not yet. I've followed his posts and can almost hear what he'd say, like the little light spill over on the corner of her mouth. ;)

Thanks again for looking. It is helping me to improve. And you're right, Paul, I do want to get to the next level.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I think you have a real winner in that picture.
    I wish that I could say that I took it.. (Well I could but that would be a lie!)

:D

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    1/60 sec. , Pretty Steady hands there , Good job. So much for D2x needing such fast shutter speeds for hand held.

I think its a nice shot for natural light without doing too much fuss to take it (using something to diffuse the light ).

9. Too funny, Dave. Thanks for the nice words!

10. Well not always so steady. My older daughter's turn was later in the day and most of those were shaky. Had to switch to the tripod.

Tropical Storm Arlene was going over us yesterday when I took these so I figured the cloud cover was diffusion enough. Unfortunately my poor pp skills undid the effect of mother nature.

Appreciate you stopping by to look!