Seen from afar... darn it :-(.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 6, 2005.

1. A visit to the lake with the 80-200 again. I wasn't able to sneak up on anything, so my only action was some
    long range shots of...

a Great Egret passing by

a couple of Canada Geese having a footrace
    View attachment 7092

and a Snowy Egret hunting for lunch... but way across the creek :cry:.
    View attachment 7093

I chimped the shots, and even on the d70's lcd, it was clear that I'd have to crop deeply, and the results wouldn't
    be of reasonable quality. I was just about to pack up my gear when the fun began. First, the Snowy jumped
    to attention!

View attachment 7094

I've seen it before. That's a fight or flight behavior, and sure enough, a rival Snowy flew into the scene just
    seconds later.

View attachment 7095

A few squaks and a mean look from the resident diner was enough to send the intruder on his way, but
    the first guy remained pretty agitated...

View attachment 7096
    View attachment 7097

He apparently lost his appetite, because after a few minutes, he headed back home to the island in the middle
    of the lake.

View attachment 7098

Hope you liked the show 8).

2. VERY nice!!! Gotta love the hairdos on those snowys when they get riled up. Nice job Frank!!

3. Frank, Great stuff!! That nest to last one is stunning.

4. Thanks, George and Dave! I see both of you have the 200-400VR. That's exactly what I needed for this
    series. Either of you want to trade one for my car? 8)

5. Frank,
    I bought the 70-200 2.8 at the same time as this lens and so far i have ignored it like an old girlfriend. BUT I expect to get it out and work with it after seiing what you have accomolished with it. What year is that car anyways?

6. Sorry, Dave. I checked with my wife, and she refuses to drive me to the lake, so I can't trade my car :roll:.

7. Way to go Frank!! Good shots!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

8. The male egret is really preening for a mate. Nicely taken images Frank.

9. Time to get that 300 f/4, Uncle Frank...;)
    Nice shots, btw! I am waiting for the more interesting birds to arrive here....

Regards,
    -Vinod

10. Seems a 300 with 1.4 would come in handy. hehehehe

11. I was hoping you'd buy that 200-400VR so I could talk you out of yours :p.

12. Yeah, that makes two of us... :cry:

13. If he was, he was pretty lousy at sweet talk 8).

I've seen this behavior before, late in the fall after mating season was long over.

Sometimes it resulted in l what I thought were midair battles. Was I actually watching them %#$@ing? :oops:

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Uncle Frank,

Such good shots of the Snowy Egret :!: I see many here in Florida but never have seen one as upset as yours.

I just looked it up in the Stokes bird book and it says,

"Aggressively defends nest and feeding sites with calls, displays such as raising crest, and fights."

So I'd say it was about to fight..

Super pictures and thanks,

Gaye

15. Ah, thanks for that information, Gaye. I was a little concerned that I might be interrupting a tender moment :roll: .

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice behaviour shots Frank. I'd like to get any shots at all of these guys, but especially when they display for you like in these did.

Regards,

Frank