Sekonic MEter Question Please Ambient and Fill FLash?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Bryan Pritchard, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Ok guys help here the Manual is hard to understand on this.

Scenario:

Using Nikon D200 and 85mm 1.4

I am shooting a model outdoors so I measure for Ambient Light
    But I want to use some fill flash ok......
    How do I take that reading do I set my L758DR on Flash and once I fire the flash it reads Ambient and Flash and gives me the correct reading?

Thanks

Bryan

2. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    I have not used a Sekonic L-758DR. However, I have an L-558R that I believe operates in a similar manner. If you set the meter in either wired or wireless flash mode (or radio triggered mode if you are using Pocket Wizards to fire the flash), press the measurement button and then fire the flash you will get a total exposure reading, and the fraction of flash exposure is displayed in 10% increments. If you adjust the shutter speed setting on the meter the fraction of flash versus ambient will change. For fill flash I would start at around 20% to 30% and fine tune if necessary.

Remember that both the ambient and flash measurements are incident readings.

3. WHat settings are you setting your camera on? and Im sure you shooting in Manual

4. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Of course. If you are using an external flash meter to determine exposure and lighting ratio, the camera must be set to manual giving you full control of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Your chosen ISO and shutter speed are set on the Sekonic meter when using it in flash mode, and the aperture and flash ratio are determined from the meter reading. You can also manually adjust flash output level or flash to subject distance, and take another meter reading, if the shutter speed that gives a desired exposure and flash ratio is too fast or too slow.

5. Thanks I understand I appreciate the help
    Thanks

Bryan