Critique Selecting a good pose

Real Name
Andy
Trying to spool up to speed on the basics of bird photography. In a previous thread, a great deal of good advice was offered. If only it were as easy to follow it as it is to receive it.

I managed to spend a couple hours at it this morning before the storms came. I'm hoping for some more help with shot selection, in particular, criteria for what people consider a good pose. Based on some internet research, I think this is might be a Yellow-rumped warbler (?) but obviously need help with species identification.

These four images are lightly processed but uncropped. I've labeled them with what my untrained eye perceives them to be, but would love to hear other opinions.

1. Boring
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Slightly less boring

3. My fave

4. Documentation

I like that you've brought your shutter speeds down. I seldom shoot perched birds at >1/320. This allows you to keep iso down and preserve all important feather detail. If you burst 4 or 5 shots and the bird moves, generally you'll find one shot that is tack sharp. Warblers are starting to turn to fall plumage so id's can be tough. There's a park in Winfield that attracts birders. My wife and I have been going there for years. PM me if you'd like specifics. Worth the short trip from where you are.

Real Name
Andy
Boring or not I'm kind of fond of number 1.
It gives him a bit of an attitude while still having a natural state.
I see what you mean. Thanks for the feedback!

I like that you've brought your shutter speeds down. I seldom shoot perched birds at >1/320. This allows you to keep iso down and preserve all important feather detail. If you burst 4 or 5 shots and the bird moves, generally you'll find one shot that is tack sharp. Warblers are starting to turn to fall plumage so id's can be tough. There's a park in Winfield that attracts birders. My wife and I have been going there for years. PM me if you'd like specifics. Worth the short trip from where you are.
Rick, I thought you primarily shot birds of the aluminum variety at DPA! Thanks for the burst suggestion - that technique does seem to work for me also. I'll send you a PM regarding the park in Winfield...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Some generalizations off the top of my head:

Have the eye(s) in focus!

Generally, it is better to have some kind of eye contact with your subject, so head angle is an important consideration.

Try to avoid the bird turning or moving away from you...i.e. few butt shots! LOL!

Catch light is preferable to "black holes" for eyes.

Natural behavior is usually better than a "bird on a stick"

Interesting perch as opposed to a stick-like branch

Great light! (Isn't that what we always wish for! LOL!)

Watch the backgrounds!!!!! Bright backgrounds draw the eye away from the subject.

Interaction with another bird

If in flight, still good view of eye and pleasing wing/body position in air

And finally, study photos of birds and learn what YOU think makes a great pose!

Real Name
Andy
Natural behavior is usually better than a "bird on a stick"

Interesting perch as opposed to a stick-like branch
Thanks for the comprehensive list! Regarding these two criteria, where do you feel this image stands? (please disregard that it is a terribly aggressive crop)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom