Selection CP - More than one adjustment?

After choosing a "selection control point" is it possible to apply more than one adjustment to the selection - e.g. lighting and focus? I haven't figured out how to do it.

With the edit step open:

Click on ADJUST to find the edit step that you want to add.

When you find the edit that you want, SHIFT CLICK on it to add it to the original step.

The SCP will then control both parts of the Multi Edit Step.

DG

With the edit step open:

When you find the edit that you want, SHIFT CLICK on it to add it to the original step.

DG

Thanks, Dave. That works nicely and I don't think I would have ever discovered it.

Tomas taught me another method that I prefer: Copy and paste the edit step. Change the function of the second edit step.

All edit steps are displayed using this method. When using a linked multi-edit step, you have to open it to see the function of all edit steps other than the first one.

Sounds interesting, Mike, but when I try to paste the step, the first adjustment disappears. What am I doing wrong?

Try this, Jim, though be aware that I'm not at CNX2 to test the instructions:

1) Select the edit step to be copied.
2) Ctrl C or Cmd C
3) Deselect the edit step to be copied. (My guess is that you accidentally left out this step.)
4) Ctrl V or Cmd V
5) Open the second edit step and change its function.

Try this, Jim, though be aware that I'm not at CNX2 to test the instructions:

1) Select the edit step to be copied.
2) Ctrl C or Cmd C
3) Deselect the edit step to be copied. (My guess is that you accidentally left out this step.)
4) Ctrl V or Cmd V
5) Open the second edit step and change its function.

Thanks, Mike. I had already discovered that.

I should pay more attention to these NX threads :redface:.

Jim,

Just a small point about Mike's suggestion.

If, some time later, you want to alter the shape / effect of the SCP you then have to do it twice (original and copied).

Using the Multi-Edit step you would only have to do it once.

Horses for courses?

DG

If, some time later, you want to alter the shape / effect of the SCP you then have to do it twice (original and copied).

Using the Multi-Edit step you would only have to do it once.
DG

I attributed the method to Tomas so we can blame him if we ultimately decide that we don't like it. :biggrin:

Seriously, if I were to change the mask, I would probably do it in one edit step, copy the edit step, change the function, and delete all of the edit steps that have the unwanted mask. My guess is that in most cases that method would be simpler than changing the mask in every edit step, especially if there are three or four edit steps that have the same mask. However, if some of the edit steps that have to be replaced have a lot of parameters to be set, there is no question in my mind that using the linked multi-edit step would be by far the better approach in this situation.

I don't remember ever changing the mask after I have created multiple edit steps using the same mask.

Jim,

When dealing with backgrounds to make the subject stand out a bit, I commonly use the following edit steps applied to the same mask:

Lower the Brightness*
Lower the Contrast*
Lower the Saturation
Noise Reduction (used as a preference to Gaussian Blur, not to reduce noise)

*Both adjustments are made using the same edit step.

With the edit step open:

DG

Please clarify - Where is "ADJUST" that is supposed to be clicked?

Barry

With the edit step open:

DG

For me to get this to work (version 2.2.6 on a Mac), I have to hold down SHIFT before clicking on Adjust.

Barry

Latest threads

Top Bottom