Self Improvement

Hey all,

First off I'd like to apologize if this is a repeated thread. I remember seeing it somewhere but I can't find it anymore.

I'm looking for any recommendations for reading material for improving my technique and increase my understanding the fundamentals of photography. I remember passing by a thread similar to this and remember people talking about Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. There were other recommendations - books, sites, classes, workshops, etc but I can't remember them.

Anyone have any other recommendations for me?

R

RichNY

Have you already read Understanding Exposure and if so what area of photography do you wish to learn more about?

C

CougarWilbur

Be sure to hit your local library, non-fiction, right around 775 DDS#.

Learning Ansel Adams' Zone System would be valuable. Check Amazon.

Check Here for just about the best books on using Adobe Photoshop products.

You can get free, open license image manipulating software (GIMP 2.4) here. Amazon also has instruction books for Gimp software and there are several online sources for tutorials, just search on GIMP 2.4.

Oh, you might want to pickup a copy of Bryan Petersons 'How To See Creatively' while you're getting 'Understanding Exposure'.

Here's 40 rules for good portraiture.

That should get you off to a good start. Enjoy!

C

CougarWilbur

Look at these too when you get a chance:

DIYPhotography.com (Make some of your own gear)
KenRockwell.com
MPix.com (Check out the Forums. Good lab too, I use them weekly.)
Strobist.blogspot.com (Off-Camera Lighting Tech)

There will be a quiz 7/29. :)

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pick up my own copy of understanding exposure soon. didn't know about the other book.

I read kenrockwell.com daily lol. good stuff. and i'll be sure to check out the other leads. Thanks everyone!

Have you already read Understanding Exposure and if so what area of photography do you wish to learn more about?

All sorts it seems, anything thats there to shoot i most probably will. lol. Landscape, Still Life, Wildlife(maybe in my dreams lol those lenses are expensive!), people, portraits, etc.

plus there's my siblings soccar games to consider.

All sorts it seems, anything thats there to shoot i most probably will. lol. Landscape, Still Life, Wildlife(maybe in my dreams lol those lenses are expensive!), people, portraits, etc.

plus there's my siblings soccar games to consider.

Try this thread. It's a good read, and may give you an idea about satisfying your interest in wildlife and sports...

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=173091

Last edited by a moderator:
T

timzilla

I'm kind of in the same boat you are in as far as wanting to learn more about photography. I've ordered some books that people recommended to me and they should be arriving soon:

The Digital Photography Book - Scott Kelby
The Moment it Clicks - Joe McNally
Setting up your Shots - Joe Vineyard
....and of course Understanding Exposures

I think the Kelby book is more about camera basics while the ones by McNally and Vineyard are more about composing your shots (which Im really psyched about getting my hands on). The one by Vineyard is also heavily recommended by Strobist.

Before I ordered them I checked out the reviews on amazon and they all did pretty well so Im excited for their arrival. :biggrin:

Well I hope that helps!

I'm kind of in the same boat you are in as far as wanting to learn more about photography. I've ordered some books that people recommended to me and they should be arriving soon:

The Digital Photography Book - Scott Kelby
The Moment it Clicks - Joe McNally
Setting up your Shots - Joe Vineyard
....and of course Understanding Exposures

I think the Kelby book is more about camera basics while the ones by McNally and Vineyard are more about composing your shots (which Im really psyched about getting my hands on). The one by Vineyard is also heavily recommended by Strobist.

Before I ordered them I checked out the reviews on amazon and they all did pretty well so Im excited for their arrival. :biggrin:

Well I hope that helps!

lol, i know what other books i'm picking up when i get Understanding Exposure! :tongue:

Latest threads

Top Bottom