1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Self Installing Katz Eye - What Do I Need?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by panda81, Jul 30, 2008.

1. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Just ordered a Katz Eye for my D300 - pretty excited about that. I hear the installation is pretty easy for some cameras, so I assume it won't be too hard for the D300.

Does Katz Eye provide the tools I'll need to install the screen? What do I need to pick up myself? Thanks in advance!

2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    All you need are very steady hands, good lighting, and a good pair of fine tweezers (blunt tip is preferable) or a set of mosquito hemostats (I used the latter on my D200.) A rocket blower is a big plus unless you have a truly dust-free environment. Oh, and don't forget to breathe -- I think I held my breath for the whole 3 minutes it took to do the job!

3. My D2x came from Nikon with a second Nikon screen and the tweezers. If the 300 did, you are good to go. If you ever have any questions or problems, do not hesitate to contact Katz Eye,or Rachel Katz herself--she is the most helpful person out there!

What they say on their website about the 300 is:
    "For those users installing the screen themselves or for those taking the camera to a local shop, complete installation instructions, with plenty of photos, are available for download and the link will be included with your purchase. We will also include an installation tool to assist in the manipulation of the screen retaining wire, but the installer should still expect provide their own tweezers, gloves, lens tissue, and other common items."

4. The Katz Eye screen for my D2H came with a tool that worked perfectly. I assume the same is true for all of them.

5. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    I just did my D200 which should be same as the D300 and it was very straightforward.

Remember to hold the screen by the tab with the tweezer.

I got a tiny scratch on the screen from letting the tweezer slip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.