Self P. for Mom

Discussion in 'People' started by Thos Quinn, Jan 7, 2006.

1. As is true of many of us I’m sure, I am usually on the back side of the camera and have few shots of my ugly mug. My mom asked (begged) for a picture of “her little boy” . So the other night I played around with my D70 (kit lens), SB-800 (both tripod mounted) and ML-L3. Kinda harsh lighting and very strange working on my own face in PS:eek: A pre-shoot shave might have been in order and boy I’m gettin’ old:Shocked: Hope you all had a great holiday.

original.

View attachment 24433

2. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Very nice shots :)

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Those aren't bad, Tom. I prefer the first as opposed to the second. The unshaved face is not objectionable IMHO. The lighting is a skosh hot, but not too harsh. I think that Mom will enjoy it for sure. Let us know the outcome of her response.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Tom those are great.

Dragon ??? Looks great.

Handsome man.

5. Thomas, since this is for your mom I am going to be a little critical. The low angle in which this shot was taken is OK for a man and tends to give him stature but the lens choice does you no favors. The chin is too prominent in the first image and the nose shadow too dark. A reflector would have been good as would a diffuser. The second image struggles with being too dark, your teeth look grey and your expression pained. You are a good looking man with a lot of character in your face and the hat is great but mom deserves better IMHO.

6. Aw shucks:redface: I must be better at PS than I thought.

7. Thank you for the critique Gordon; all your observations are valid and well taken. Yes, Mom deserves the best for sure. Actually, I think I’m going to get out of the self-portrait business... too nerve-wracking and humbling:Confused:

8. Please don't let my opinion beat you down. Get out there and shoot some more. I feel the same about pictures I shoot of myself. The one thing I would strongly suggest is to use a diffuser of some sort. My choice is the Gary Fong Photo Journalism diffuser but have used the simple Stofen that comes with the SB800 or just the plain flash bounced and with the little white card pulled up and the rig canted at about 45 degrees.

9. I was just teasing; I'm not beaten down (much) but I honestly don't much enjoy being in front of the camera. I did use the diffuser that came with the flash and ifins I were to do the shoot again I'd try to scroung up something to reflect some light on the "dark side". The hat shot wouldn't allow bouncing. Again, thanks for the input and I respect your opinions!

10. I thought these were pictures of Anthony Hopkins... Maybe you could do some stand in work if you ever needed a little extra camera money.

11. Holy crap. That second picture is hilarious! Probably not the desired effect, but goodness, that's probably the funniest self-portrait I've ever seen. It looks like you're either mystified or constipated or something. Ha. It's also a little underexposed.

The first image has you doing some kind of wierd angle turn with your head yet again. I'd rethink the shoot and have another go at it. Make sure you let us know how it goes!