Self Portrait + scanning

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Davo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    So...needing a printer...i bought a canon mp600 photo printer/scanner/copier. its sort of a bonus that its a photo printer and has 2400dpi scanning resolution. oddly, its not designed to scan film despite that. crippled software much? (seriously..***?).

so i've been fiddling with it today, along with some 120 film (portra 160, which spent about 5 years in a hot attic at my last place of work). i think the scanner will do fine for black and white stuff, but the orange mask (and color shift of the film) are making it murder.

so, i scanned and messed around, and applied one of my presets in ACR. )the scratches and thumb prints are authentic lol)

mamiyascan2bsm.

no miracles, just a little fun ;)

thanks for looking, and if you have any tips on getting normal colors from color negative film my ears are open.

:D

2. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    I like the scratches and thumbprint... many people try to add that kind of thing to their images in Photoshop. I'm not one of them. The fact that they are "real" though adds to the grittiness of the image.

Sorry I can't give you any tips on getting normal colors from color negative film since the only film I shoot is black & white.

Chris

3. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    thanks, chris :)

yeah...at first i was irritated, but then i thought "wow...there are people who would KILL to have these scratches, stains, and prints on their images". i actually considered for a brief moment how i could save them as brushes, lol :p

as it happens...i have like 300 rolls of the portra 160 in my garage. i have a bunch of b&w film i should scan, and a handful of rolls to shoot.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I ought to start a service - I'll develop film and guarantee to drop the film on the floor while it is wet. For an extra charge I could step on it!

Cool self portrait Davo!

5. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    haha. thanks chris :) (a conspiracy? only people named chris have responded...hmmmmm)

i bet people would take you up on it too :p

i think its all my fault this time...the prints came out fine from the (now defunct) lab...but these negs have been stepped on, crumpled, scratched, sat on, left in a chair and had a bag thrown on them daly....you name it. i nearly threw them away...but figured what the heck, i could see what a 120 neg could produce with the new toy. so i then messed with the negatives with reckless abandon, and no gloves, and probably residue from lunch. poor things.

6. Hey, Great Pic!

Chris

7. I like this image and it makes me glad that digital has arrived.
    Proccessing and printing is a lot more quicker,with precise results, but maybe not as special as it was "in the old days'.:rolleyes:

8. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    *is amazed that yet another chris posted*

clearly a conspiracy at this point.

thanks chris and doug :)

i too am glad digital is here...the camera is half again older than me actually :p i only wish i was younger, so that digital had come along at an even earlier stage in my life, as is the case for a few friends who i've mentored in photography (who are in their mid-teens).

film...i find to be "charming". its lovely to emulate, and it has its fine points. but i actually like the sterile precise nature of digital, its definitely faster, and more flexible. but as long as i find film "charming" i'll continue to shoot it now and then, and as long as i keep getting good or at least interesting results, i don't imagine i'll stop until it has disappeared entirely.

9. A-h-h but when all those electrons have long ridden the oblivion express and my negatives are still around... well you get the picture ... so to speak! And sterile precision is good if you're a surgeon ...:wink:

10. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    i actually totally have the opposite problem. :p

all my raw electrons are categorized and backed up...and i haven't the foggiest idea where about 2/3 of my negs are. lol