Self Portrait w/ SnapBridge

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I went scouting to this location today to "test" it as a portrait location. In a few weeks the leaves here will be brilliant golden yellows, oranges, and reds. I think it will make a pretty good setting. It was very overcast which I had hoped would even out the light and permit my strobe to really add something to this but it was still a bit bright on my hair. I think this will make an excellent spring, summer, and fall portrait location.

The trick with getting SnapBridge to focus on me is to set the focus area manually to where I intend to be in the frame before enabling WiFi on the camera. I've gotten pretty proficient at taking self portraits with SnapBridge. Having the 2MB JPGs auto-transfer to the phone helps me to see the results and make changes to exposure via SnapBridge. SnapBridge also permits me to set an exposure delay of up to 10 secs. This gives me time to hide the phone and pose before the shutter trips.

What I cannot change remotely from the phone is the strobe settings. There is a version of the wireless trigger that can link to the phone with BlueTooth, but that would require switching the phone connections back and forth between camera and strobe controller.

The Setup:

Nikon Z 7 w/ Nikkor Z 70-200/2.8 S and Circular Polarizer
FlashPoint AD400 Pro strobe w/ 24x36-inch softbox set at 1/2 power
ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/80s, 155mm focal length

WPR-20211011-4723.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
I first tried setting my strobe to TTL mode, but it simply didn't output enough power to fill in the shadows of my eye sockets. In this picture I have done a little local adjustment to correct for it, but you can still see they are a little dark.

WPR-20211011-4695.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Well I just grab the model and the light and hit the spot. These are very well done fir selfies.
Thanks!
Walter, #1 looks really good! I like the way the colors of your clothes pop. Pretty good lighting in that one.
Thanks Mitch. The #1 above was taken AFTER the #2 above. In #2 I was using TTL with negative flash exposure comp and it didn't provide enough flash power. In #1 I switched the flash to manual and then I was able to get enough power to fill in the shadows in my eyes just enough.

Great spot. I agree the scenery will be perfect with a little more color to the leaves. How far was your camera from the two poses? I've done a couple of "family" self portraits too using Snapbridge and previously with a Fuji XT2 and its software. Slightly easier/better than triggering a timer and running around back to the pose spot! You definitely looked relaxed!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Great spot. I agree the scenery will be perfect with a little more color to the leaves. How far was your camera from the two poses? I've done a couple of "family" self portraits too using SnapBridge and previously with a Fuji XT2 and its software. Slightly easier/better than triggering a timer and running around back to the pose spot! You definitely looked relaxed!
Thanks John. I think the camera was about 12-15 feet away from me. SnapBridge lets you set an exposure delay. That gives you time to get into a pose and relax yourself vs looking after running from camera to setting and then worrying whether it get accurate focus. SnapBridge assures proper focus because you don't move other than trying to hide your phone after starting the delay countdown.

Next time I do one of these I will have to bring someone along to take BTS (behind the scenes) or have to use my phone to take a picture of the setting with everything ready but me. I meant to do that this time and just didn't do it.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Nicely lit- meaning it looks good and I can't tell there is artificial lighting involved.
Too bad that concrete whatever is behind, hopefully leaves can cover it, otherwise what a great spot for shots!
gary
That is the remnants of an old stone bridge that crossed this stream. Upstream from there at one time was a mill and stone house, both of which are long gone. This part of Maryland dates back to the mid 1700s.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom