Self-realization: a sad day

I decided to clean out a closet today. I didn't think there would be any new discoveries to be found there, but this particular closet housed my camera bag collection. I simply thought that I would put the small room in order. However, I made an astonishing discovery that I never saw coming: I've become a fanboy.

No, I'm not a Nikon fanboy, since I own and use several third party lenses. I will freely admit that I prefer Nikon gear to that of Canon or other manufacturers, but my discovery was a bit more disturbing. I've become a Kata fanboy. Yep, almost half of my extensive bag collection is made by Kata - mostly old-school stuff (with the blue-gray and black nylon). I've got 9 of these Kata bags. :frown:

I always told myself that I wouldn't become so enamored with one particular brand to the point that I would become obsessed with it. Unfortunately, that's not true. Is there anyone else out there that shares my misfortune? Or am I alone in my fanboyism?

I always told myself that I wouldn't become so enamored with one particular brand to the point that I would become obsessed with it. Unfortunately, that's not true. Is there anyone else out there that shares my misfortune? Or am I alone in my fanboyism?

It doesn't mean you're a fanboy, perhaps they just make good products which is why you end up buying them. :)
I noticed most of my electrical products [radio , alarm clock, mini hi-fi] are the Philips brand - not because I look for their products but because whenever I look for something audio/electronic it turns out to be a Philips product that does exactly what I want :)

It doesn't mean you're a fanboy, perhaps they just make good products which is why you end up buying them. :)

Thanks, Desmond!

You're definitely right about Kata making good products. My last purchase was a Kata SB-904 - which is similar to my Domke F1-X...and it out-Domke's Domke (if that makes sense, or is even possible).

Hey Bourbon.... I'm a fanboy... of my sports teams!!! :tongue: Other than that, no, never been a fanboy of one particular brand, I but what works best for me, for the price. Yeah, I tend to stick with one thing, of that's what works. Right now it's Nikon/Apple but I'm willing to change if something better comes along for me.

I tend to change over time. I will discover a product, buy everything that manufacturer does for a few years and then grow disillusioned with them and switch to someone else :biggrin:

I prefer ThinkTank to Kata though and have several in the cupboard (I think I have five ThinkTank Bags in total but only actively use one of them). I buy them not because they are fashionable or because I am a fanboy but because I think their products are the best available. Whenever they release a new one I have to think very carefully and ask myself if I really need it! :redface:

I think the others are right, Mark. You aren't a fanboy, you're just buying the products that you think will work the best for you. Now, if you were buying every new bag that Kata was coming out with regardless of how it's functionality, then you'd be a real fanboy.

Think Tank. I have enough of the modular belt stuff to hang two belts worth. At least. It looks like I am on a SWAT team if you didn't know better...

We should have a swap meet where we all turn up carrying all our bags and leave with just as many but different brands. I'd like to try a Kata bag :biggrin:

Travelin' light. I have two: one which I actually use and an F-64 to which I'm sentimentally attached. It was the first bag I ever bought.

Latest threads

Top Bottom