Sell Me on Capture One

Yes I am worried about the Adobe future and I am thinking on ditching LR for another program now. I have looked at others but Capture One seems to be the best. My plan is to download the trial in a few weeks when I will have time to use it but I have a few questions now.

1) I have read about the dust removal system that uses a reference photo but what about clone tool, healing brush and other spot removal tools? I do not see them on the web site.

2) I have heard that it does not support plugins but does it have "edit in" for stand alone programs like Photoshop and others?

3) How is the edit information handled? Side car files or a catalog like LR?

4) Is it fast?

Sell me on this program so I can say "Adios Adobe"...
Pete

With exactly the conclusion I expected before reading it:

After taking an in-depth look at the performance of Capture One Pro 7, DxO Optics Pro 8 and Lightroom 4, it's clear that these applications all have areas of strength and weakness relative to each other. And that's undoubtedly good, as there's no truly bad choice among them. But this does make it more difficult as a consumer to decide among them. Indeed, selecting the 'best' raw converter really means identifying the one that best fits your photographic needs and priorities...

He does offer some guidance on how to choose based on individual needs:

As I said earlier, the choice of which of these raw converters to use comes down to how you work. Shoot primarily in the studio and need robust tethering capability? Then you'll be very happy with Capture One Pro 7. If you work on a relatively small number of images and/or already have an existing asset management system in place, DxO Optics Pro 8 offers perhaps the best starting point for your edits. And if you're all about workflow efficiency, need tight integration with Adobe Bridge or Photoshop and want the most feature-rich cross-platform app on the market, Lightroom 4 can fit the bill. As raw-shooting photographers we've really got an embarrassment of riches at our disposal right now. You can create some great images no matter which one you choose.

I would love to see these compared to Nikon Capture NX2, but that won't happen.

Capture One is very good, and likely you'll like it. The feature gap with Lightroom has been closed over the years.

Image adjustements are stored in separate sidecar files (not in a database) that are not XMP files. There are pros and cons to that; it's easy to migrate your files (as long as you copy the sidecar files that are stored inside a subfolder of the folder where the images reside). Ad-hoc editing that you want to keep outside your workflow is a lot easier than in LR.
Spot editing (healing, etc) is very limited but V7 might be better at it (I had a desperate need for an integrated catalog and Phase One only included that after I switched over to LR), you'll have to use the trial version to determine that.
It's not the fastest to use but it works very well. The biggest advantage is of course that you don't have to fork over money every month. For now. Then again neither do you have to with Lightroom. For now.

With Capture one 7 using a catalog is now an option. That allows you to maintain your edit data in a central database rather than sidecar files for each image. That mode (Sessions) is still available for those who prefer it.

With version 7 the gap between it and ACR/Lightroom is pretty small. No clone capability and selective editing lacks the ability to selectively apply white balance adjustments. On the other hand the camera profiles in Capture One are the best I've found. I consistently get better skin tones with it.

I have used Capture One for about 8 years now and I find it great for workflow and ease of use. I am now using Capture One Pro 7 and it is a very powerful RAW converter.

However, there are still a few things I like in Photoshop that are not replicated in Capture One.

My workflow is to use Capture One and do adjust WB, Saturation, Keystoning where necessary, lens aberrations are mostly automatic with known lenses, horizon straightening, etc. I then save to 16bit TIFF.

I then open the TIFFs in Photoshop CS6 and adjust things like cloning and lassoing etc and the plug ins are a real benefit. I use Imagenomics Noiseware Professional, the best noise reduction program I have used, and I also use Power Retouche for my sharpening and that is a quick and simple and very effective sharpening plug in.

The beauty of the system of RAW conversion I use is that it is quick, easy and repeatable.

I have used Capture One for about 8 years now and I find it great for workflow and ease of use. I am now using Capture One Pro 7 and it is a very powerful RAW converter.

This may be a dumb question, but does Capture One provide for working on multiple images at once, so that the changes apply to all images selected, in one pass? (like ACR?)

I ask because Nikon Capture NX does not, and I looked at the trial of Corel AfterShot (previously Bibble), and it does not. This is an overwhelmingly important feature to me, for studio work, or any batch of similar images.

Aftershot is only $50 at Amazon, and appears to offer some potential, but this rules it out for me. Plus, I had real trouble trying to get its white balance right.

This may be a dumb question, but does Capture One provide for working on multiple images at once, so that the changes apply to all images selected, in one pass? (like ACR?)

I ask because Nikon Capture NX does not, and I looked at the trial of Corel AfterShot (previously Bibble), and it does not. This is an overwhelmingly important feature to me, for studio work, or any batch of similar images.

You can copy the adjustments, then select which ones to apply (all, none, some) and then paste them onto your selection. While is this not a blind "appy to all" batch (although pressing ctrl+a to select all takes about 1/2 second) it does have the advantage that you do have a choice where to apply your settings on.

For instance, if you're shooting partially indoor, partially outdoor with a mix of daylight and sunlight and you've been moving around during the event all day long, you could color code your indoor (lit by incandescent) shots, red, your shadow ones blue and your sunlight ones yellow. Then you select all the "blue shots," adjust them, then the "red shots," and so on.

Thanks. That sounds OK, perhaps additional steps, but probably just a different way of working.

Aftershot Pro is only about $50 at Amazon, anytime. Recently it was $30 there.

Spend a few minutes with the Corel Trial download first. I have trouble with its White Balance. Even its slider, it only has Temperature, does not have Tint.

Aftershot Pro is only about $50 at Amazon, anytime. Recently it was $30 there.

Spend a few minutes with the Corel Trial download first. I have trouble with its White Balance. Even its slider, it only has Temperature, does not have Tint.

So I guess it was not that good of a deal...

Capture One looks like the best alternative but lack of spot removal and clone tools is a real showstopper for me.

Thank you Tom. I am holding off on downloading the trial until next month so I can try it on my trip.

Capture One looks like the best alternative but lack of spot removal and clone tools is a real showstopper for me.
C1 made significant advances going from Pro 6 to Pro 7, IMO, and I would be surprised if they do not listen to user defined needs on the next release.

Adobe has spoiled us with the feature rich capabilities of PS and LR, but there is money to be made by the developer(s) that pay attention to the user community.

Thanks Tom,
Even in Lightroom, I have to use Photoshop when I need a good clone tool. I am getting ready to download the trial. How much more will get with the Pro over the Express. The Express is competitively priced with Lightroom and that is what I would be replacing. I am using both Nikon and Leica systems.
Pete

Tom, Thanks again,
That UK site has a lot of information and it looks like I will go for the Pro. The Express has a lot but there are a few things in Pro that I really want.
Pete

This thread has me really interested. Thanks for sharing your thought process. Looking forward to hearing the outcomes.

OUrabmen

Well it is 'next month' and I have downloaded the trial of Capture One Pro. I will use it I am leaving for a two week trip next Sunday and will use COne instead of LR. I will import and adjust photos from my Leica and Nikon cameras. I always clean my sensors before travelling but I am sure I will still have dust to remove.
Pete

for all of you who are interested in making a good deal - Capture Integation offers one onCapture One!

http://captureintegration.com

It seems to be better to use the email version within the US because the Capture One Ship resides in Denmark - and there they add 25% VAT!

saludos redondos
tom

Tom: I'm thinking of pulling the trigger with the sale. Does Capture One require internet access to validate the software? My photo editing computer does not have internet access because I don't want Nikon CNX2 to become unstable.

Thanks,

Wayne

Latest threads

Top Bottom