Selling on eBay nightmare story

A friend on mine upgraded to a Z7 and listed their D850 (shutter count under 10,000) on eBay.

It sold.

Five (5) months later (yes 5 months later) he got a complaint from the buyer 'Not as described' regardless of the emails and telephone calls that my friend made to eBay they sided with the buyer (a buyer has 180 days/6 months to lodge a complaint) PayPal deducted the sale price and postage price almost immediately from his account.

A week later the D850 arrived back to him (same serial number) the camera looked worn straight away as soon as he saw it. He checked the shutter count and it was over 160,000 !!!!!!!!!

He contacted eBay and they listened, but said that the matter as far as they were concerned was concluded and wiped their hands of it.

Why I don't sell on ebay any more. That, and they like to dig deep into your pockets when you do. So deep they can check for hernias.

There are so many ways to sell things these days, and just easy if not easier, to never need to use eBay. I haven't touched that site in nearly 20 years and likely never will.

The heck with that. Just buy a bunch of high-$ gear, start a pro gear rental company, loan the gear out, then after 5 or 6 months just return the stuff and get your money back. Any money you bring in during that time will be pure profit.

Real Name
Randy
over 10 years for me and I left a 250-0 feedback on ebay. It's the wild west over there and after they bought paypal the fees were sickening. With all respect to the café FM is the best and safest place to B&S...….noting even close that I've seen

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I used it early on for some expensive things, but quit a very long time ago! I could see it was going downhill very, very quickly. Now I only get lipstick :rolleyes: on eBay about once a year. We have used Craig's List successfully to sell a motorcycle and video camera. But for camera gear, if I buy and sell here or on FM.

Real Name
Don Roy
I don't mind buying from eBay, but my selling experiences has been 25% a PITA, including selling off my old Canon stuff a few months ago, which thankfully all worked out. I'm now learning I have to wait for the 6 month point to be sure though (🤞).

In the past I've had some good sales on eBay but they got greedy with a 10% sale fee and they often side with buyers. I had one recent sale that I cancelled becasue the buyer wanted it shipped to an unverified address. eBay policy allows this and encourages this. But when the buyer gave me negative feedback eBay said tough 'spit' and as a seller I'm not allowed to answer his feedback or post feedback on him. They are basically setup to protect buyers and don't really care about sellers or common sense as the original poster posted.

Amazon Prime has pretty much eliminated my purchases from eBay and I have to be hard up to even try selling on eBay anymore (I'd rather sell here or on FM anyway). It's a last resort only.

I prefer selling on FM, but sometimes some items just don't move. So Ebay is always a last resort for selling. Saying that I wouldn't sell big ticket items and I always put restrictions on all my sales.

I won't sell there, I was scammed on a filter I'd sold and will not do it again. I sometimes buy low cost things there, but I'm willing to do a little work to avoid even those. All said, it's someplace I would rather not do business with, and in the age of flourishing e-commerce there are other choices that have less risk.

I didn't have any problems with lenses and cameras that I sold on eBay, but that was a few years ago and judging by stories like this I would be reluctant to do so again. One thing I did was to create a separate checking account at my credit union that I used exclusively for PayPal. After getting payment on an item, I'd move it to that account as soon as possible and then transfer it out of that account to my main checking account. I assumed that would protect me from the situation that Bear described, but I'm not sure if PayPal would have some other recourse.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I didn't have any problems with lenses and cameras that I sold on eBay, but that was a few years ago and judging by stories like this I would be reluctant to do so again. One thing I did was to create a separate checking account at my credit union that I used exclusively for PayPal. After getting payment on an item, I'd move it to that account as soon as possible and then transfer it out of that account to my main checking account. I assumed that would protect me from the situation that Bear described, but I'm not sure if PayPal would have some other recourse.
That's what I did also. Thankfully I never had a problem with a buyer......

I need to figure out how to do that. I got paid via Paypal for a RRS L-bracket I sold a few weeks ago (not on EBay) and I was trying to figure out how to spend the money. I dislike EBay/Paypal enough that I don't like to leave money sitting in their coffers earning interest.

Earlier this year, I sold my two DSLR cameras and several F mount lenses as I transitioned to the Z7. I was lucky to sell the majority on Nikonians, FB Marketplace and here but the remaining items did get sold on eBay. Of the three auctions I put up, two had to be relisted due to scammers using the Buy It Now. Fortunately, I did not have any other issues and I'm past the 6 month mark. When I sell gear in the future, if it doesn't sell on sites I trust, I'm going to eat the difference and trade the gear or sell it to KEH, B&H, Adorama, or similar, reputable business. Unfortunately, incidents like these are getting to be more and more common. Now the only things that get sold on eBay are small things where if we're scammed, the value is $25 or less.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom