Selling on eBay nightmare story

These are my go-to places to sell:

- Craigslist and/or Facebook Market Place - Local Sales + Cash Only (best sales with no fees)
- Fred Miranda + with confirmed PP address and buyer identity (smoothest transactions with high feedback members)
- Nikon Cafe and all of Amin's B&S forums (smooth as well, though less traffic unlike the early 2000s when you could sell 500mm lenses like candy)
- Ebay as a last resort, but with strict buyer restrictions and only sellers with high positive feedback (it's usually a gamble, hence always crossing fingers)

I also call Paypal and Ebay constantly to confirm buyer info and to make sure their PP account is legit. Also I never sell direct to the retailers, their buy prices are just way too low and I'd rather post my stuff on every sale outlet possible until I eventually get a bite!

I get stock photo payments on PayPal. Getty chose the method. As soon as a payment comes in I transfer it to another account. Can't use Ebay as I only have a PO Box, no street address, so they generally would not ship to me.

How did you get scammed? Or are you referring to ebay?
I somehow ended up having two B+W CPL filters. I’d used one and sold the new one on EBay. Shipped it off, buyer said it arrived all scratched. He returned a filter, same brand and size but it looked like it’d been run over by a truck. Scratched, edge was dented in a few places. It was a throwaway. I complained to PayPal, they gave the buyer his money back and told me to go away. The buyer came up with a novel way to replace his beat up filter at no cost. I had about 225 perfect feedbacks on EBay, this was the last thing I sold there. This happened 4-5 years ago, I won’t sell there again. I use Amazon, Craigslist or the Cafe to sell stuff. Never had a problem with any of them.
I got paid using PayPal for a CL RRS l bracket I sold a couple of weeks ago. Tried to spend the money yesterday at Adorama, didn’t work so I paid with a cc. Last night I went to PayPal, didn’t know I had to accept the money that was waiting for me. I need to find something to spend it on.

Real Name
David
How's selling through Amazon? I haven't tried it yet, but sounds like another alternative.
Fees are a little higher, but you can ask a little more so that evens out.

Some manufacturers restrict sales, for example as a private seller I can't sell any Fuji gear. I'd need to submit an invoice showing I bought them for resale. I can't remember the exact wording or requirements, but it was something like that. I've sold a couple of Nikon things there and a bunch of Panasonic and Olympus stuff.

Selling on Amazon is easy. I’ve sold a lot of stuff there, books, tools, Nikon V2 and all the lenses they made for it, some DSLR lenses and phones. They route funds to a bank account. Only oddity I’ve run into is last week I tried to list a tripod and head Adorama had sent me with a lens I just bought. Amazon routed me to some kind of mandatory pesticide training I was required to complete before listing the tripod for sale - go figure. I didn’t take the training and sold the tripod setup on Craigslist.

EBay rules here are

When you list an item on eBay, you choose how buyers pay you. In most categories, you must accept either PayPal or credit and debit cards.

If you're a managed payments seller, forms of payment will be automatically set. You don't need to do anything. Your buyers will be able to pay with credit or debit card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and PayPal.

I've only sold cheap things on ebay in the past few years. Mostly stuff I really should have thrown out or taken to the donate-store.

My very best Nikon camera and lens buys have come from Craigslist (local face to face only) but it is becoming crowded with phony Nikon cameras that don't really exist, certainly not at the advertised price of 50% off. (same exact ads posted in many cities at once).

Going to drop ebay completely now that they collect sales tax, hit you with multiple fees, and PayPal fees as well.

I do see some useful odd stuff from China on ebay, but a quick check of the the China direct sites is usually reveals a much better deal.

(banggood, dxdealextreme, etc.)

Last edited:

JLH

I sold a computer mother board once on e-bay. Sold it very cheap with the warning it was working when pulled but I could not warranty it so it was sold "as is" and no return. The buyer swore it didn't work. Even though it was sold "as is" and cheap I immediately refunded the purchase price and told him to keep it. He still gave me negative feed back and registered a complaint against me! What a jerk! I asked him, "What more could I have done? You got your money back, and kept the item." Didn't matter at all. I often wonder if it was just his way to get the part for free and then give me a bad mark for falling for his game.
I avoid selling on ebay if possible. On the other hand I got a nice deal on a like new 16-80 lens for my D500 from a nice man who got it in a kit and just didn't use it as he was into birds and long lenses. We communicated before the sale and it was clear he was a decent guy. There are good buyers and sellers there but sadly a lot of bad people too.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom