1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

selling photographic equipment on here

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by barry lloyd, Apr 10, 2018.

1. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    i have to say if a member is selling photographic equipment it should not be limited to a country, mainly the USA. If it is available for members to buy then it should be available to All members from any country.

This is somthing admin needs to address and stop this from happening

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. In addition to the warranty complications around Nikon gear, I wouldn't want to deal with insurance/customs/exchange rate/package tracking for sending items to another country if there are already a reasonable number of potential buyers where I live.

Sean

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. With all due respect, I usually restrict the sale of more expensive gear to the United States...only because international shipping introduces a level of complexity and risk that I'm not willing to take. Perhaps it's not as complicated as I think, but I prefer to keep my transactions as simple as possible. IMO...the seller should have the right to restrict a sale in any way he/she sees fit.

Even when selling on eBay, I can restrict the sale to certain regions. And with eBay, I have more seller protections than I have when selling through an open forum.

Glenn

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    I think that there would be potentially unpleasant financial consequences for you the buyer with Custom duties and import VAT to be accounted for.
    AFAIK:
    If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over certain value) and Import VAT (if over a certain value) on top of the purchase price.

I have bought photo gear from Japan (used lenses) and was charged duties. The duty can be calculated before hand which means you really need to be picking up at bargain prices

5. I mainly restrict selling overseas unless the potential buyer contacts me and is willing to pay all charges. Even shipping to Canada can be a big hassle for US sellers depending on customs. There's lots of paperwork to fill out, having to wait in line at the US post office (which is always a nightmare in a big urban city) versus just printing postage and dropping the package for domestic delivery. I'd rather choose the latter!

6. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    Not as hard as one thinks. VAT ? on used goods? doubtful. Maybe the USA just makes it more difficult than necessary.

All I can say is watching customs at USA airports on TV over here, the customs people seem to be deliberately over obstructive and full of their own self importance to the point of being obsessive. Anyway that is the way they come across.

maybe that is one reason for the reluctance to post abroad all the BS you have to deal with. Really feel sorry for USA citizens

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  7. Well there are ICE agents, and then there are customs folks. The latter have always been nice to me. Besides, in mailing overseas one deals with the Post Office, UPS or FedEx---no contact with Customs required.

8. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    ICE agents?what/who are they?
    Oh and have to say having visited the USA several times I was treated with respect by all of them. No complaints there

9. ICE

The guys on TV in cop uniforms :D 

• Like Like x 1
  10. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Unfortunately someone (buyer) will be responsible for payment.
    Whoever you use the buyer will be be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company explaining how to pay any VAT, duty and fees for dealing with customs.
    They’ll normally hold your parcel for about 3 weeks. If you haven’t paid the fee by then, it’ll be sent back.

11. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    The problem with thinking is that you are not basing anything on fact. If you had you would have found the following as I have in the past - YOU WILL BE CHARGED whether you like it or not or think it is fair.

Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad - GOV.UK

Anything posted or couriered to you goes through customs to check it isn’t banned or restricted and you pay the right tax and ‘duty’ (customs charges) on it.

Tax and duty
    You’ll be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company explaining how to pay any VAT, duty and fees for dealing with customs.
    They’ll normally hold your parcel for about 3 weeks. If you haven’t paid the fee by then, it’ll be sent back.

VAT
    You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EU special territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:
    gifts worth more than £39
    other goods worth more than £15
    alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value

Customs Duty

You’ll be charged Customs Duty on gifts and other goods sent from outside the EU if they’re above a certain value.

The value includes:

the price paid for the goods
    postage, packaging and insurance

Type and value of goods Customs Duty
    Anything under £135 No charge
    Gifts worth £135-£630 2.5%, but rates are lower for some goods - call the helpline
    Gifts above £630 and other goods above £135 The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - call the helpline

Should this be incorrect please link to your source of information I would be interested to recover the charges on duty and import VAT I have incurred in the past!

Should you disagree with this you need to take your grievance to HM Custom and Excise not blame USA

12. There are no limitations on selling imposed be the site, moderators, etc. Only by those that are selling / buying. I've listed things for sale here and on other sites and had people contact me (mainly from Canada) asking if I'll mark something as a "gift". So the option to limit where you're willing to sell/ship to can be helpful.

As already mentioned, there are also warranty issues with Nikon gear in not originally intended markets. There are technical issues as well, PAL vs NTSC video standards for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I've never liked that "gift" declaration when it's something I sold. I used gift when my son was going to college in Canada, but am very uncomfortable in using it for sold items. I don't know what police agency would show up at my door for lying on a customs declaration, all I know is I don't want any of them at my door.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Only time I've listed something as a gift that I can remember was a trade.

15. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Up to $10,000 fine and /or up to 5 years imprisonment should be enough to put of anyone contemplating low level fraud. Home

AFAIK the buyer will not receive the goods they will have been confiscated

16. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain

Jan 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Selling items using the "gift" option via PayPal is against their TOS. If that is how the seller wants to be paid, I won't buy from that person. If they are ok with screwing PayPal, they'll have no qualms about screwing me....

17. He (I believe) and I were referring to a field on the shipping form when sending something to Canada, not PayPal.

18. Yes, that is correct. It's when you take the item to the Post Office and have to start filling out paperwork. I've sold a couple of things to buyers in Canada, and they've asked for "gift" to filled into one of the boxes on the paperwork. I would not do it, I recall the value was under $30 on both the items I'd sold. It was a few years ago, maybe the process has changed now. Given the value was low, I doubt it could have cost them much on their end but not being there I wouldn't know.

19. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain

Jan 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Sorry. My misunderstanding.

20. Not a problem, FYI international PP rules are also different. In the US you're not suppose to say +3%, but that is not the case in other countries.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.