Selling photos of private property

What are the rules of showing and selling photos taken on private property. For example a hotel or museum. Is it alright as long as photos are allowed in such a place or do you need permission first?

Taking photos is one thing, selling them is totally different. Just because you're allowed to take them doesn't give you the right to sell them. To sell them, you're going to have to get written permission. This, of course, is subject to your country's copyright laws.

im interested in the USA. Im currently in peru and can guarantee it doesn't matter at all here, but wanted to know for the states how this is handled

example is here, this is of a hostel. in the states would I need their permission

1246979090_jNiQx-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First I want to say what a wonderful image that is.

As far as permission, think of it as a "model release" but for a building. You're going to need permission to sell it.

Michael

thanks

I do wonder what the real rules are with this. So are you not allowed to sell cityscapes of NY or any other city, or is there rules with how much of the frame is with the subject, or maybe it goes from if it was taken from their actually private property. I don't see how they can make this a copyright issue.

Thanks for the helpful links. In most circumstances, pictures of buildings are not like pictures of people that require a model-release.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom