Selling The 18-200VR. What To Get Next?

Well, since the announcment of the 18-200VRII w/ focus anti-creep lock thingy, I have been thinking about selling my 18-200VRI w/o focus anti creep lock thingy, before it's value goes down the tubes. I have recently purchased the 70-300VR, and think that the overlapping focal lenghts might be a waste. Considering my lens line-up (which is diplayed in my sig), what would be my next best purchase? My subjects are pretty much any/everything. Budget is <$600. Also looking for a nice macro lens ( Tamron 90 if I can find one)

:biggrin::biggrin:

PS. Or should I just keep it, and save up for something later???

M

Michael Mohrmann

How much lens changing are you willing to put up with? If managing three zooms works for you, then the suggestion to add a wide would work.

If I were shooting DX, I would get something like the 17-55/2.8 or 16-85 VR to go along with the 70-300 VR. Both are plenty wide for me (on DX) and a bit wider than the 18-200. But both overlap your 35-70 quite a bit (completely with the 16-85).

I swapped my 18-200VR for a 16-85VR and I'm very happy. I also sold my 17-55/2.8 and don't miss it with the 16-85. Of course it's not f/2.8, but I seldom need that.

I wouldn't bother selling unless you don't like what the 18-200 is giving you, then in that case I would recommend a 16-85.

You have almost the same gear as me if you get the 10-24mm wide angle haha. I was somewhat in your shoe about overlapping range. I thought hard of selling the 18-200 to get the 16-85 but I don't see the justification to get a minor improvement in image quality (especially if you don't print large pictures). Also, despite the overlapping range, sometimes you may only want one lens for lightweight travel for the day, which your 18-200 will triumph. Also, I wouldn't think of overlapping range as your concern as each lens really has its own unique way of giving you great pics. 18-200 is no doubt a very versatile lens as you take a wide angle shot then a close up telephoto zoom in matters of seconds. Trade-off of course would be its image quality. But sometimes capturing the moment with subpar quality is better than capturing a plain shot very sharply. Just a thought.

If you're just a casual shooter who likes to shoot everything as a hobby like me, then I think 18-200 is hard to replace. But if it's something more serious where image quality is a necessity, then you may want to look into 16-85, 24-70, 17-55 etc. But if you're not, I'd say you should invest in an ultra wide angle (Nikon 10-24, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 10-20) as that is the range that you're missing so far, then we'll go on from there.

dL

Looks a wide-angle is the only thing your missing.

The Sigma 10-20mm is a fine WA, and it's in your price range.

I also sold my 18-200mm and bought a 16-85mm. Much sharper in the corners and no lens creep. A great lens if you can cope with the f/3.5-5.6 aperture, which you had with the 18-200mm anyway.

Unless you find it impossible to part with the 35 70, I agree with the suggestion to sell it to increase the funds available. It would be nice if that would then cover a good used 17 55 but I don't know if you'll find one that cheap.

A good value for little money is the 1855vr. Better at the wide end than the 18200 and much more compact.

Don't waste your precious money on third party lenses like I did. (I stand by that regardless what any apologists might respond with.)

Dare I venture into that caliper of lens??

:confused::confused:
Yes and No.

Yes) You could sell the 18-200 and 35-70 to buy either the 17-55 or 24-70. I used exposure plot to figure out what range worked best for me and then sold my 17-55 to purchase the 24-70. Only problem you have is if 24mm on DX is wide enough for you.

No) With pro caliber lenses you now have to deal with more weight. Coupled with the fact they cost more than consumer glass is another drawback. Once you use pro glass it is tough to go back to consumer stuff, but there is a trade off in everytihing.

Good luck and have fun shooting once you decide.

Only problem you have is if 24mm on DX is wide enough for you.

No) With pro caliber lenses you now have to deal with more weight.

Good luck and have fun shooting once you decide.
24mm will not be wide enough in the future, I will want the 12/14-24 or some other variant. Weight will not be a big factor, as I am a big guy who can handle it!!

A lot has to do with lens swapping.

For instance, with swapping:
10 or 12 or 14 to 24 + 24 to 70
17 to 35 + 35 to 70

But for my own most common needs without swapping:
17 to 55

BTW I also have the nikon 12 to 24 (and a 10 to 24 I am soon to put to first use) and the 1224 is better <20mm and the 1755 better >20mm for sharpness and distortion. The overlap is convenient and I don't sweat having the lesser performing lens on at the moment I want to get a shot.

A lot of these combos mentioned blow the budget.

Yes, I think at this point and time, I really either just need to be happy with what I have, or sell equipment to help with a down payment for our first house. I know what the Nikon Cafe will say!1

Yes, I think at this point and time, I really either just need to be happy with what I have, or sell equipment to help with a down payment for our first house. I know what the Nikon Cafe will say!1
$8000 first time buyer credit - it's a no-brainer.

$8000 first time buyer credit - it's a no-brainer.
Yeah, but I will just be graduating from college in December, and I really don't know if we want to be tied down to a house. Plus, we would need to live in the house for three years in order to not have to pay it back. I have found a great fix-er-upper for sale, with a great lot. But the wife is scared because of the way the people left the house.

:eek::eek::Curved:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom