Selling used gear to Adorama or B&H

I am wondering how it is dealing with Adorama and B&H when selling them used gear. I got a bid from B&H. I talked to the man on the phone and he e-mailed me a quote for my m4/3 kit. I am willing to accept what he offered me, but I'm afraid once they get it they will call and try to renegotiate. Just wondering if that has been your experience.

Real Name
Andrew
There is always the risk of potential re-negotiation. I will say that I have Sold to the big 4 before (Adorama, B&H, MPB and KEH). So long as you are honest in your rating of the gear (and clean it up as best you can...I never send anything out to anyone with dirty or dusty lens elements)...you should be fine.

The only place that did some price adjustments was MPB, and it was actually in my favor. Could not believe the level of honesty. I rated it as Excellent, but when they received it, said it was excellent plus and threw me a few extra dollars on the original quote.

The only place that did some price adjustments was MPB, and it was actually in my favor. Could not believe the level of honesty. I rated it as Excellent, but when they received it, said it was excellent plus and threw me a few extra dollars on the original quote.
Same thing happened to me. I wouldn't hesitate to sell to them again, but they can't offer the additional $200 from Nikon toward a Z6.

Same thing happened to me. I wouldn't hesitate to sell to them again, but they can't offer the additional $200 from Nikon toward a Z6.
I think I will just send it all to B&H because I want to get the $200 towards the Z6. If they don't give me what I want for my lenses, I already got a quote from KEH. It was less than B&H offered, but not much. I am also throwing in some extras, like the MCON macro converter and some small filters, extra batteries and lens caps. Hopefully they will make up for the couple of items that are less than 9 in condition. I think the most valuable items are in excellent shape.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
My experience is you can often get more for your gear by selling it yourself. They are planning to make a profit by re-selling it, so the offer to you is lower than someone will likely pay for the items.

Of course, then you have the responsibility to ensure the buyer is honest. That said, I've had no problems selling (or buying) on NikonCafe or FM, even with big ticket items. At least check used prices and how long the items have been listed - both here and on FM - so get an idea of how things are being priced.

The only time I had a problem was when selling a semi pro video camera to B&H. We shipped it ensured for $5,000 using USPS. It arrived damaged at B&H. It took me several months, but I finally got USPS to accept responsibility and honor the insurance I had purchased. Lessons learned, photo how well item is packaged, inside and out. And maybe even have a witness! LOL!

My experience is you can often get more for your gear by selling it yourself. They are planning to make a profit by re-selling it, so the offer to you is lower than someone will likely pay for the items.
I agree, but in this case she would have to get $200 more to compensate for the bonus $200 Nikon is offering.

I did investigate a B&H trade-in of my D750 toward a Z6 and their on-line tool came up with an offer of $548. Used ones at FM are selling in the $900 range, so if I were to trade with B&H for a Z7 and get the additional $400 it would about balance out, but not with the $200 toward a Z6.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree, but in this case she would have to get $200 more to compensate for the bonus $200 Nikon is offering.

I did investigate a B&H trade-in of my D750 toward a Z6 and their on-line tool came up with an offer of $548. Used ones at FM are selling in the $900 range, so if I were to trade with B&H for a Z7 and get the additional $400 it would about balance out, but not with the $200 toward a Z6.
I wasn't addressing the Nikon rebate of trading in used gear during purchase, only her question of selling used gear to B&H (not Nikon).

I just got a quote from MPB. It was more than the one from KEH, B&H, and Adorama, so I will sell the lenses there. I realize I could get more if I sell it myself and will do that with my Nikon gear. I think the M4/3 gear will be harder to sell myself and I really don't want to hassle with it.

I will just trade the camera in with whoever I decide to order the Z6 from.

I just got a quote from MPB. It was more than the one from KEH, B&H, and Adorama, so I will sell the lenses there. I realize I could get more if I sell it myself and will do that with my Nikon gear. I think the M4/3 gear will be harder to sell myself and I really don't want to hassle with it.

I will just trade the camera in with whoever I decide to order the Z6 from.
Sounds like a plan. I will really be interested in how this all works out, especially how you like the Z6.

Terri I posted this back in 2017 but it is more of an FYI.....

Lew I saw your post regarding selling gear and while there are many ways to go, I’ll share with you my most recent experience. I had recently purchased a D7200 body through B&H and was very happy with the transaction. I usually am when dealing with them. The D7200 was to replace my D90 with grip. The D90 was in excellent condition with a low shutter count and my intent was to sell it through Fred Miranda.

In the interim, thanks or no thanks to a friend, I decided I wanted a Sigma 150-600 C lens. I looked around and decided to contact Adorama as they were advertising they offer to buy used equipment at a better price than other competitors. I figured my D90 was worth $200 tops and perhaps half that for the grip. Adorama said send it to them for evaluation and if I wasn’t happy, they would return it to me on their dime. Off it went and when they contacted me, they were going to offer me $125.00 or roughly what everyone else would have.

Here’s where it gets interesting. I said no thanks; please send everything back to me. In passing I mentioned it was a shame as I had my eye on a lens they had and was hoping to use the money for that. Adorama had it for $989.00 with the USB block. The gentleman handling my case said to hold on for a minute. He then informed me he would make me a deal I could not refuse. Bottom line was they would sell me the Sigma for $700.00. They were offering me $269.00 for my Nikon D90 and grip in a roundabout manner. I took it as I felt this was what I would have been happy to get selling both pieces privately.

For me this worked out to my satisfaction. Your mileage may vary……

Terri I posted this back in 2017 but it is more of an FYI.....

Lew I saw your post regarding selling gear and while there are many ways to go, I’ll share with you my most recent experience. I had recently purchased a D7200 body through B&H and was very happy with the transaction. I usually am when dealing with them. The D7200 was to replace my D90 with grip. The D90 was in excellent condition with a low shutter count and my intent was to sell it through Fred Miranda.

In the interim, thanks or no thanks to a friend, I decided I wanted a Sigma 150-600 C lens. I looked around and decided to contact Adorama as they were advertising they offer to buy used equipment at a better price than other competitors. I figured my D90 was worth $200 tops and perhaps half that for the grip. Adorama said send it to them for evaluation and if I wasn’t happy, they would return it to me on their dime. Off it went and when they contacted me, they were going to offer me $125.00 or roughly what everyone else would have.

Here’s where it gets interesting. I said no thanks; please send everything back to me. In passing I mentioned it was a shame as I had my eye on a lens they had and was hoping to use the money for that. Adorama had it for $989.00 with the USB block. The gentleman handling my case said to hold on for a minute. He then informed me he would make me a deal I could not refuse. Bottom line was they would sell me the Sigma for $700.00. They were offering me $269.00 for my Nikon D90 and grip in a roundabout manner. I took it as I felt this was what I would have been happy to get selling both pieces privately.

For me this worked out to my satisfaction. Your mileage may vary……
Adorama told me that you would get a better deal if you were going to put the money toward a purchase. I'm glad that this worked out so well for you. I bet they wanted to make it work rather than having to pay for shipping both ways. I will be buying and selling more gear so I might just try your technique!!

Another place to consider for trading in/purchasing camera gear is District Camera, which is in the Washington, DC area (one store in DC, the others in Northern Virginia). I have had good luck with them in the past -- of course I have the advantage of actually being able to take my camera body/lens(es) to them in person for appraisal and so on, but they also do this sort of thing online with customers from other areas. The two or three times over the years that I've had this kind of transaction with them I've found their appraisals and trade-in offers to be fair and satisfactory, and that's what counts. They handle all the major camera brands and formats and so that would not be a problem.

Spring is almost here and I've been thinking recently of making some changes in my own gear.....and once I finally get my act together that is where I will be heading to see what kind of deal can be worked out so that I can bring home something shiny and new that will work well for me where I am at this point in my photographic life.......

Last edited:
Another place to consider for trading in/purchasing camera gear is District Camera, which is in the Washington, DC area (one store in DC, the others in Northern Virginia). I have had good luck with them in the pat -- of course I have the advantage of actually being able to take my camera body/lens(es) to them in person for appraisal and so on, but they also do this sort of thing online with customers from other areas. The two or three times over the years that I've had this kind of transaction with them I've found their appraisals and trade-in offers to be fair and satisfactory, and that's what counts. They handle all the major camera brands and formats and so that would not be a problem.

Spring is almost here and I've been thinking recently of making some changes in my own gear.....and once I finally get my act together that is where I will be heading to see what kind of deal can be worked out so that I can bring home something shiny and new that will work well for me where I am at this point in my photographic life.......
It feels so good to get rid of some of the old gear. Shiny and new is always fun! Thanks for the recommendation!

Sounds like a plan. I will really be interested in how this all works out, especially how you like the Z6.
Hopefully it will all work out. I’ll certainly let you know what I think about the camera. When I got the D5600, I wasn’t ready to let my Olympus gear go. But I haven’t used it once since then, so it is time!

I just got a quote from MPB. It was more than the one from KEH, B&H, and Adorama, so I will sell the lenses there.
Check out Supporting Vendor mpb.com Deals and Announcements beginning at Post #30. Though I would never do business with MPB (despite that their company's name is the same as my initials :ROFLMAO: ), I hope everything works out really well for you if you send your gear to them.

There is a difference between what things are advertised for and what they sell for. I've sold a number of items on FM and more often than not, the final sale price is 10-20% lower than what I initially put it at.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom