1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Semi rigid camera bag?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by antonoat, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Does anyone know of any brand of semi-rigid camera bag, I'm thinking rucksack sized(and able to be carried like a rucksack) capable of carrying a couple of bodies and 70-200f2.8, 24-70 and occasionally a 300f2.8? I'm primarily concerned with crush resistance and able to withstand occasional rough treatment. I don't want anything like a rigid hard plastic Peli case.
    I had a thought of trying to make some sort of rigid plastic sheet which could be slid into the edges/sides of a typical Lowepro rucksack. I've even thought about contacting some of the manufacturers to enquire if they could incorporate a feature like this into any of their products.
    My main concern is that the sidewalls of these soft bags offer no rigidity whatsoever, so if a bag is pressed on the side/edge equipment inside the bag takes the strain, especially if one has a lens attached to a body it could transmit the strain to the body lens mount. I've also noticed with some of the smaller bags there seems to be an increasing trend for cameras with lenses attached to be placed sideways on in the bottom of a bag, consequently anything else placed ontop could press down on the camera lens putting strain again on the camera mount.
    Many of the camera luggage manufacturers claim to do extensive field testing but honestly I do wonder sometimes how much of it is marketing hype rather than real world testing.
    Any thoughts and ideas from the folks here much appreciated.
    cheers
    tony

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. My old Kata was like that. Manfrotto bought them.

3. Yeah I remember them well, unfortunately Manfrotto doesn't any longer make such a bag! I just feel that most of the rucksacks available offer
    very limited protection for our expensive gear.Thanks for your response anyway, it's much appreciated.
    Hopefully someone else will chime in with a suggestion.
    cheers
    tony

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.