senior model

A real senior. :biggrin:

This is my wife's 80yo grandfather. We were visiting her folks in VT over the July 4th weekend and stopped by the gp's house to say high. I was told he was out there working on one of his tractors, so with the kids wanting to see his 3mo goats, I went out with the D200+70-200VR. When I got out there with my MIL (his daughter) and kids, he saw the camera (with the hood), and of course said "that's quite a rig you got there!" Well, it doesn't take much to have me chat about photography, so I started showing him some aperature stuff and had him model to show the diff between f/2.8 and f/16 and some composition stuff.

So, here's the f/2.8 shot I took. When I saw it on the LCD, I loved it. When I downloaded it to the computer, I loved it that much more. My wife was telling me that he seemed to be enjoying "modeling" for me. I'll be sending him an 8.5x11 copy of this photo. (PP was some levels adjustment, reduction to 25% of original, and USM 50/1/0)

It is images like these that has made me in love with photography.

p388012707-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

N

Nuteshack

lovely image, Oren....i can't get enough of it ....;-)))

Nice shot, yeah I'd like to see it adjusted 1/4 stop as well. I think I'd keep the colors instead of B&W. It's very warm and very little distraction to be found.

lovely image, Oren....i can't get enough of it ....;-)))

Thanks nute. That means I need to find another 300 or so like it and we'd be even (in number of images with that kind of impact on the other). :smile:

Yeah Oren, it's a dandy photo. I am suggesting it would be a stunning B-W converted image too. Thanks for sharing.

Really cool picture. So much character in this face. Great job. I agree that it would look nice in black and white, too.

Thanks Charlie and Jana. Being partially color-blind, I guess I enjoy more vivid color so I basically never make anything B&W. I hope this does it justice, but here's a try using the "change to LAB mode, keep the lightness channel, convert to greyscale, duplicate the layer and choose Multiply blending mode [to darken] and dial down the opacity [60 or 65%, I believe]" method:

p395739937-4.jpg

Wonderful photo of a great looking subject. I wonder if you could go up 1/4 stop on this one?

Nice shot, yeah I'd like to see it adjusted 1/4 stop as well. I think I'd keep the colors instead of B&W. It's very warm and very little distraction to be found.

Nice. I prefer it in color. Lots of character and a warm feel with the tone and contrast.

I bet he will love the print...

Thanks Mitchell, Kim, and Brian. The NX color-cast removal I used (auto-levels -> advanced mode -> contrast@30 + color-cast@0) made it so bumping up the original RAW even a full stop didn't make much difference. I should probably have lightened it up a bit after with another levels adjustment to lighten up the face. I do like the contrast, though, even if it is a bit dark. I'll probably end up trying to print this and a lighter version and see which one ends up looking better before mailing it to them.

Very nice capture Oren. He should enjoy it.

Thank you, Roy. I hope so.

Ahhh so sweet. Love it. He somewhat looks like Prince Charles.

Thanks, Seneca. Funny you should say that because my wife says that he looks a lot like Prince Phillip (Prince Charles' father). I guess he's his Irish version: non-royalty and farmer type (and "sugarer" [maple syrup]). :biggrin:

Thanks everyone for looking and the nice comments.

Oren,

Shooting under a hat, especially a large one, can be tough. Great job lighting his face. He looks like a neat guy.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. You can see how bright things were by the blown-out top of the hat. I think the ground acted as somewhat of a reflector, so I got lucky. Actually, I was super-lucky because I was just trying to show the DOF effect of f/2.8, and everything just came together. He is a pretty neat guy. 6 kids, farming type, lots of sugaring (maple syrup/maple cream), self taught musician (here he is with the wife playing in their church band):

p873207992-4.jpg

Oren....
awesome
you'll treasure this image for a lifetime
i bet that he loved it as well

Thanks, Greg. I/we will. My own side of the family is pretty small, so marrying into such a big family (my wife is an only child, but her dad is one of ten while her mom is one of six so lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins) presents lots of photo-ops. Here's another, this time when we went inside and I was sitting across from him at their dining table (switched over to the 85 f/1.4):

p55237645-4.jpg

Love the first shot (and the others). It satisfies so much - great of him and great to know what you can do with a camera - truly "capture the moment."

Latest threads

Top Bottom