1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Senior Photo - Rangefinder Idea

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by nuccifamily, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Got this idea from a recent Rangefinder magazine that was dedicated to senior photos. I realized after the senior had left and I looked at the magazine again that I needed to bring the football closer to his chin to get more of it in the picture. But still, I liked it for my first attempt. Comments?

2914954379_8b61017405_b.

2. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    I like the shot. I guess you have to trade-off between keeping the team name visible and the placement of the ball. The young fellow should be quite happy with this shot.

3. Thanks Art. Good point about the team name.

4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Anthony I love this shot. The post is amazing. The only nit is the team name .

Dan

5. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Excellent Anthony. Very cool PP - I love the way the skin tone came out. As Dan said the name, but not a shot killer IMO.

6. Thanks Dan! Please explain the nit regarding the team name. Are you saying that it is cut off? Didn't realize that when I posted, but I have a version with the full team name as well. I was mostly trying to get a tighter crop. If I would have had the football higher, I would have cropped even tighter. Let me know what you were referring to. Thanks for the critique.

Thanks Fred! Let me know if you are also referring to the name being cut off. Thanks again.

7. Bump for the morning crowd and additional critique.

8. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I really like this shot. Can I ask what the PP technique used? My son is a senior and a football player, I would like to try this.

9. caraman

caraman

May 23, 2007
    Dumfries, VA
    Anthony,
    I really like the shot... I think a close crop just below the face mask would be really good too (even without the football).

10. Thanks Brenda. This was finished in Lightroom using Matt K's preset called 300-Strong available for download on his website. I think I did some tweaking after using the preset to tone down the red, mostly because his lips were too red.

Thanks Phil. I agree... for some reason I want to get even closer to the face with my crop. I will give it a try!

11. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I like the idea and it is well executed
    I would like to see a little more toughness alittle eye black perhaps some sweat and dirt
    To me this picture looks as if a kid off the street got dressed up for football rather than a player
    thanks for sharing

12. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks Anthony. I have Elements, I will have to see if there's something similar out there.

13. I agree Mark. If it was for me, I would have added at least eye black. But, the Mom liked her son to be "pretty" for his senior photos. The gritty look achieved with the processing is about as far as I pushed it. But, I will try to do more with the next one. Thanks for the comments.

14. I know I have seen articles about getting that "300" look using Photoshop and Lightroom, but not sure I have seen anything regarding Elements.

15. Wonderful work Anthony!

Even with the busy helmet you managed to really make the face "POP" out. Great contrast. I'm sure these are going to be excellent seniors!

16. Thanks for the comments Eugene!

17. drdrew

drdrew

Dec 28, 2007
    missouri
    nice PP and i bet the client loves it!

18. Yes they did. And in the end, that is the most important thing! Thanks for the comment Drew.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.