Senior Pics

Discussion in 'People' started by e2blade, Sep 3, 2008.

1. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    Just did these today, what can i improve on.. this is my 5th time shooting with people

DSC_6495.jpg
    DSC_6504.jpg
    DSC_6510.jpg
    DSC_6517.jpg
    DSC_6528.jpg
    DSC_6544.jpg
    DSC_6546.jpg
    DSC_6550.jpg
    DSC_6552.jpg
    DSC_6542.jpg
    DSC_6553.jpg

2. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    A lovely series of a pretty young girl. Not much wrong with those IMHO.

3. lazijay

lazijay

Jul 27, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    Do you guys think 18-55 kit lens would produce some decent portraits? I'm thinking about taking my friends' Senior pictures as well.

4. These are quite underexposed, but the composition is good on most of them. 4th and 5th are the best of the bunch, IMO.

5. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    i wish i had a off camera flash. and plus my camera is broken to the max. it was glitching the whole time turning off and on. and i cant adjust exposure MODE or anything, all i can adjust is the whole left side, the right side is competely dead

6. Dear Charlie,

What follows is only my opinion - ignore if you like.

Most of what I had to say has been said but I'll add a couple of things.

While the composition is generally fine, you need to compose with the idea that these might be printed thus planning for prints in 4 x 5 aspect ratio will save a lot of $ in printing and framing.

In difficult lighting situations, make certain the subject is exposed well.
    You are letting the bright skies determine the exposure in backlit situations thus your subject is too dark. This can be fixed somewhat, see below, and you should do the fixing before presenting them.

girlppbn8.jpg

Last, you are not looking critically at the subject. She is a pretty girl, nice hair, generally nice figure. She has a couple of figure weaknesses and some of your poses actually accentuate them, rather than hide them. She doesn't have much definition in her waist and she has a tiny tummy. Straight-on shots and clingy shirts accentuate both of those issue - and this will be the things she will see in the picture.

You have to pose this young lady at an angle to the camera to hide weaknesses and accentuate all the many good points.

girlfigureuo2.jpg

Note this picture below. Different shirt and different pose- neither tummy nor waist show to any disadvantage, she looks great.

I also removed the excess space from above and added vignette on top to close off those corners.

girldockmv0.jpg

Good luck,

Lew

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  7. Lew that was very helpful, I have to shoot my daughter's Sr Portrait shortly and I've been researching and researching and researching...

Did anyone else see the resemblance to Karen Allen (Animal House, Boon's GF, Raiders of the Lost Ark) in pic #2?

8. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    Thanks for the tips i have another shoot tomorrow and will take that inconsideration, and idk if my screen is just brighter than your guys, but the exposure looks fine, i have a full 1080 hd screen blah blah.

9. My guess is that your screen is too bright.
    I calibrate mine weekly and these look dark to me.

For example, on the right is the histogram from the girl's figure alone. Way, way, way too underexposed.

[​IMG]
    By llorton

10. even your dark images can be "SAVED."
    yours:
    DSC_6550.jpg

with a little bit of work:
    366348056_cVBEE-O.jpg

11. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    thats insanely bright!!!

12. actually, it's still a bit darker than i would like on my calibrated monitor
    cute shot, though

13. MFowler

MFowler

Apr 18, 2008
    Texas
    It might help if you printed a few of yours off.

14. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    they look fine, just got them printed yesterday and more today

15. I sense a fair amount of disbelief in your responses.

You will have to take my/our word for it that your pictures are under-exposed and your screen is too bright.

If the prints look decent from a commercial printer it is because the printing place is doing the shadow correction to make it look better.

Correcting images that are badly exposed will never give as good a result as having a well exposed image to start. If you look at the correction done by Spaulding12, you can see that, even with a good effort, the colors in the subject are flat and will print like crap.

The key to excellent, not OK, prints is good exposure and good pp. The key to those two is learning how to read a histogram and having a calibrated monitor.

Don't depend on the printer at Walmart to correct your mistakes.

16. I realized that I had never given a reason why correcting a badly exposed image is not as good as getting the right exposure. If the picture is underexposed, then all of the many levels of detail and color are squashed down into a very small range of tones and colors. When you try to correct this by widening out the space you are artificially pumping up color and tone and, at the same time, you are pumping up noise. You can't create detail, thus you may have a falsely inflated range of tones but there won't be any real detail or gradation on the color.

Here is an example. On the last is the altered version of your shot to compare with a more correctly exposed image. Look at the difference in numbers of tones, depth of color and detail. Also note the lack of noise in the image on the right.

Correct exposure is almost everything; get it as close to perfect in the camera as you can.

girlcompareuo1.jpg
    By llorton

17. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
  18. much, much better. you are on the right track.

issues as I see them:

formatted to odd format. this will require custom printing and framing. expensive

subject's stance is awkward with hips out and arms down. - make something happen there - hands on hips or body turned - something

masking is not well-done - note blue tinges at the edge of her hair. search for tutorials on channel masking or, if you can, buy Masking and Compositing by Karen Eisman

image needs sharpening

the curlicue overlay is not so tasteful and the edges look quite rough and very heavy for this delicate girl.

ecen though there are issues, you are progressing nicely.