Senior Portrait Pactice

Here are some shots of my daughter I took today at the Centennial Park in Atlanta. She wants some senior shots, and I told her we would try some and if she didn't like them we would have them done by a Pro.
I myself feel they just don't have that POP to them! I don't know if the problem is with the PP, my ability or both? I do OK shooting flowers and stuff but people shots get the best of me. These are just test shots so background and composition are not great. Give it to me straight so I can get better!

01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

02.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

1. not a fan of the glowing arms and regular face. looks like she's slouching too much. lol.

2. holy red eye batman! why did you cut off her hands?

3. why'd you cut off her hands...again?

4. looks the best out of the set. IMHO. but for some reason..her jeans look much sharper than her face?

sorry for the harsh comments btw. i'm not a pro myself :tongue:

not a fan of the glowing arms and regular face
Not sure what you mean here? are her arms glowing? What is a regular face?

These are just test shots so background and composition are not great.
It was about to pour rain so I was a little rushed.

4. looks the best out of the set. IMHO. but for some reason..her jeans look much sharper than her face?

I feel that way about all of them, I did miss my focus point on #4, it was on her chest but the others were on her eyes? They still look OOF and I was using a tripod?

No problems with your critque Johnny... Thats what I need :smile:

The biggest thing is that she doesn't seem relaxed- as well as the cut off hands- I'd work on that. Secondly, her clothes are way too casual and bland- get her in something bright that will set off those beautiful eyes! Thirdly, try to get rid of the wrinkles and don't show the bottom of the shoes unless they're clean. The last shot is the best of them- if she were in nicer clothes it'd be a winner!

Paul

Eyes, what beautiful eyes. You need to get more up close and personal to capture the beauty of her eyes and face. Try to get her to practice some different expressions in the mirror. All the facial expressions/smiles are identical. Give her suggestions on what you want, serious, laughing, pouting etc based on the overall pose, background etc. Think with a little practice these can be turned into spectacular shots.

I told her we would try some and if she didn't like them we would have them done by a Pro.

Been thinking about this- she has to tell you your stuff sucks to get new pix? That's not a good position...

I really think that you can do better with just a little work though- I'd have her (and do it myself) search the Web for senior shots that she likes and that you like- then try to create the pose and lighting. Do some short and broad side lighting shots, not all full-on... exaggerate some poses/expressions too- make it fun! Try to incorporate some of her hobbies and career goals as either poses or props as well.

Paul

this might be better as a poll,. my vote goes to get a professional involved as these are quite a long way from what is possible :676:

Been thinking about this- she has to tell you your stuff sucks to get new pix? That's not a good position...

I really think that you can do better with just a little work though- I'd have her (and do it myself) search the Web for senior shots that she likes and that you like- then try to create the pose and lighting. Do some short and broad side lighting shots, not all full-on... exaggerate some poses/expressions too- make it fun! Try to incorporate some of her hobbies and career goals as either poses or props as well.

Paul

Thanks Paul,
I know I can, and have done better, Unfortunately my model/daughter wasn't very happy to be there! Teenager's ya know, I think she would do better with a female photographer she doesnt know.....
We have found some poses from the web we are going to try soon and I will post back the results.

this might be better as a poll,. my vote goes to get a professional involved as these are quite a long way from what is possible :676:

My vote is for a poll to tell people who don't have any proper criticism to keep their mouth shut!:rolleyes:
I will be nice and say your photo's are Great! Now, see how easy it is to be a gentleman?

Thanks Paul,
I know I can, and have done better, Unfortunatly my model/daughter wasn't very happy to be there! Teenager's ya know, I think she would do better with a female photographer she dosen't know.....
We have found some poses from the web we are going to try soon and I will post back the results.

You can't get good shots if they don't want to be there. I would work on that and also avoid the heat/ keep them in the shade and use a reflector to get that sun back in. I let my 3 yr old send emails of pictures to prince charming and I write her back telling her how beautiful they are. otherwise it's very hard for mw to get good images of her.

Thanks Paul,
I know I can, and have done better, Unfortunately my model/daughter wasn't very happy to be there! Teenager's ya know, I think she would do better with a female photographer she doesnt know.....

Maybe have her bring a friend and take turns at playing art director? Play Simon Says with the poses- if you're just lining her up, it's going to be even more booooring than at home- tell her all the supermodels text while they're on a shoot- then get a pic- stuff like that, if you're too serious, she'll be too serious and if it's not fun it'll show in the face and the body language.

Paul

Eyes, what beautiful eyes. You need to get more up close and personal to capture the beauty of her eyes and face. Try to get her to practice some different expressions in the mirror. All the facial expressions/smiles are identical. Give her suggestions on what you want, serious, laughing, pouting etc based on the overall pose, background etc. Think with a little practice these can be turned into spectacular shots.

Thanks! As I said these were just rushed test shots, hopefully the next time we will be more prepared, and have a willing model:rolleyes: I don't know what happened with these though, I guess bad lighting (very overcast) didn't help, the shots don't look crisp considering I was using my 70-200VR on a tripod:confused:

My vote is for a poll to tell people who don't have any proper criticism to keep their mouth shut!:rolleyes:
I will be nice and say your photo's are Great! Now, see how easy it is to be a gentleman?

yep,. great images but does that help anyone,. seems almost as pointless as suggesting to seek a professional

there's plenty wrong with the above most of which has been pointed out but the option to seek a pro is already on the table and realistically it might be the best option

note I think everyone can improve and I'm sure feedback here will be useful but these are quite a long way from professional,. someone who has spent years refining their craft is in a different league

yep,. great images but does that help anyone,. seems almost as pointless as suggesting to seek a professional

there's plenty wrong with the above most of which has been pointed out but the option to seek a pro is already on the table and realistically it might be the best option

note I think everyone can improve and I'm sure feedback here will be useful but these are quite a long way from professional,. someone who has spent years refining their craft is in a different league

Yes, you are in a different league I don't deny that. But you didn't become a master overnight and I am sure you had some help along the way! I am doing this as a hobby and for "My Daughter" not a paying client. I posted these for people to give me pointer's to increase my ability not to be hit with bile from some snob!
If you were to go to a "Professional Plumber's forum" (which I am a master) asking for advise I'd hope you are treated with kindness. :Love:

Yes, you are in a different league I don't deny that. But you didn't become a master overnight and I am sure you had some help along the way! I am doing this as a hobby and for "My Daughter" not a paying client. I posted these for people to give me pointer's to increase my ability not to be hit with bile from some snob!
If you were to go to a "Professional Plumber's forum" (which I am a master) asking for advise I'd hope you are treated with kindness. :Love:

eek no,. I don't shoot seniors and there is plenty I do not know and do know many many who can produce images better than me,. so I would not put myself forward in that way

right so example,. someone turns up on plumbing forum, shows examples of their pipework and asks whether they should re-plum their friends house or tips on how to improve so they are in a position to do their friends plumbing,. the honest answer is (perhaps!?) seek a professional

now,. agreed no one starts out great (or even good!) and actually I see all kinds of weakness in images that I have photographed,. stuff I can do better on,. I was lucky to be in the company of an amazing photographer the other week and he said even he takes pictures with faults sometimes - that was tounge in cheek - his point was that nothing is perfect and everyone has stuff they can improve upon

if I was looking to offer advice on what to do to try and improve what you've done is turn off the flash (these look like on camera direct flash?) try and work on skin tone to make it look natural and also you need a relaxed model, her expression is the same throughout

eek no,. I don't shoot seniors
I did not imply you did.

right so example,. someone turns up on plumbing forum, shows examples of their pipework and asks whether they should re-plum their friends house or tips on how to improve so they are in a position to do their friends plumbing,. the honest answer is (perhaps!?) seek a professional

That would be breaking the law in the USA, you must be a Licensed Master Plumber to alter/ install appurtenances in a home other than your own. You don't need to be licensed by the state to do photography.

if I was looking to offer advice on what to do to try and improve what you've done is turn off the flash (these look like on camera direct flash?) try and work on skin tone to make it look natural and also you need a relaxed model, her expression is the same throughout

That's all I wanted, corrective input!

if you look at these there is flash on them (according to description) I am not sure it needs any flash at all (or whether flash is actually doing much helpful) - but look how natural they appear, relaxed, lighting, skin tone, colour and variety of expression in just 2 shots https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=238309

because you don't need to be licensed to do photography does not mean there is less involved, note here I am not suggesting about me personally but about photography in general

to put it another way,. with another 5 years I might be nearly as good as the photograper who I was with the other week - but that is doubtful as he has 20 years experiance and it might take me 5 years just to understand how much more I have to learn

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver,
It was very overcast that day so I thought flash was needed to bring up the shadows, the problem was I did not diffuse the light and it was pointed straight toward her..... my stupidity there. I believe several factors contributed to these being poor examples of my meager skill/ or lack thereof. (1) unwilling subject (2) impending rain = rushed (3) wife making both of us nervous! LOL.

The problem with me is, I love photography and making people happy with the results, same applies to my plumbing business too. I wish I had more time to learn/practice or someone nearby our small town to shoot with.

overcast is often the easiest light to shoot with, you can add in a reflector or find some kind of structure to add some direction to the light but there seems a fascination with flash that I do not understand, someone linked from the forum to this photographer recently http://www.audreywoulardblog.com/ - there's no flash

no shoot (as no photograph) is perfect and there are always going to be something that was not as you might want it,. I can only look at the images presented and offer opinion, other opinion will differ and I do/did not intend to suggest to give up as we all have stuff that can be improved and with that I wish you well

Latest threads

Top Bottom