Senior Portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by Seneca, May 3, 2007.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    RESIZE.

Did this one on Monday...funny thing is, five minutes after I took this picture...it started raining...really hard.:mad:

Although I must admit...this kid could pose...I really didn't have to tell him what to do...he was comfortable with a couple of poses. Wish they were all like him!

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    C&C's welcome. Any takers?

3. I think it's a nice shot. Exposed well... nice pose, etc. His t-shirt flipped over bugs me but I can't fault you on that one.

The only thing I can't figure out is the fuzzy areas at the top and bottom of the frame...

4. Very nice picture, and the fuzzy frame is pretty cool looking. Dave

5. I like this shot and he does seem comfortable. I must admit that I am not a fan of the blurred edges on the image and would also crop a little off the top and the left side of the image. I think that I also might play around with the color balance as it seems to have a little green cast to it; however, it is hard to tell with so much green natrurally in the image.

I decided to tweak the image a little just to see if my eye was lying to me. In color balance I moved the green/magenta slider to -3 and then went to brightness/contrast and move the contrast slider to +5. Lastly I cropped about one quarter inch of the top and the left side of the image. See what you think.

Tweaked:

original.

Original for comparison:

RESIZE.

6. The kid looks like a natural as far as posing....however, I would have had him wear a different shirt, preferably a solid-colored tee with no lettering. I find the lettering on this shirt to be very distracting, and my eyes keep going right to that rather than to the boy's face.

7. Overall, I think it is excellent. A couple of comments...

Personally, I think the picture would look better without the border. But, if you are going to leave it in, I think it needs to have a softer transition. The blurred edge ends so distinctly and looks awkward to me. Regarding the clothing comments, I don't always like the clothing choices that the kids bring to these senior portrait shots, but I figure that is up to them and definitely displays each individual's personality. If they have multiple shirts, I might help guide them to what I think looks best. If they have their shirt sloppily positioned, I might help fix that. But, I don't tell any young person what they should or shouldn't wear. It's part of who they are and should be part of the picture in my opinion.

8. Oh, absolutely, what an individual wears in his/her portrait should be a reflection of his or her personality.... but I think in the initial discussions about setting up a portrait session it would not be inappropriate to make suggestions about the clothing. I'm sure this kid has a few solid-colored tees that he is just as happy wearing as he is his commericalized Ron Jon Surf Shop shirt! The person having the portrait done isn't necessarily going to know about or think about what works best in a portrait -- that's the responsibility of the photographer, and therefore it behooves the photographer to offer suggestions about clothing...

9. You're absolutely right Connie! :smile: This is a great idea and something I hadn't thought about before... a pre-shoot meeting with clothing suggestions, etc. I will definitely add that in the future. However, in the end, I think the Ron Jon Surf Shop still "says" something that a plain t-shirt would not. My son, who is a senior, doesn't have any plain t-shirts. These kids like their messages, no matter how silly or meaningless.

10. Actually the Ron Jon Surf Shop shirt is cool and would be viewed so by his peers. Afterall, that is what's important at that age.

11. :biggrin: I guess the fact that I'm old enough to be this kid's grandma and also have never had kids of my own is showing here.... LOL!!

12. Gordon - I like your crop... though I am not seeing much color difference on my end. May be a monitor issue! :tongue:

13. :biggrin: I tend to not worry about this stuff... just kids being kids. He will look back at this one day and say, "What the heck is Ron Jon? And, why was I wearing that stupid t-shirt?!". :biggrin: :tongue:

14. Totally agree... the shirt goes perfectly with the laid back 'I'm too cool for school' pose :wink:

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Wow!! I come back and see all these nice comments!! Thank you.

The Blur is called Guassian Blur in CS3...it actually does bother me now that I see it.

I too thought he should've picked another shirt...but someone had it right on...it is what the kids wear...along with Abercrombie, Hollister, PacSun, & American Eagle.

I have other pics that I took...and again, this kid is very natural when it comes to posing. I took about 3 different shots, and he was amazing. I told him to grow his hair out, and model for Abercrombie. He thought that was funny, but said he's been told that he could be a model. He's a cutie...and wants me to take some pics of his girlfriend next week.

Again...thank you all for the C&C's...this is the only way we will grow as photographers...when we see the comments of our peers.

Seneca

16. Nicely done. I don't care about the shirt but the watch bothers me for some reason.

See Ya
    Dennis

17. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

I like this picture...

good work..

18. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I like the original but I must say I like Gordons crop and extra processing a bit better. I'd agree that the blurred border is a bit distracting and I don't prefer that. If you want something around the bordermaybe some vignetting would do the trick but I'm sure it'd be just fine w/o anything. I also agree that the tshirt is fine because it captures him as who he is, I'm sure he wears that shirt or similar shirts often.

Well done!