Senior Portraits - 1st attempt

Discussion in 'People' started by Dan C., May 12, 2007.

1. Dan C.

Dan C.

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I took some senior portraits of my daughter the other evening. I found a camera setting that saved me. It is the bracketing on white balance (I think. I am pretty new to this). The setting was in my backyard, and the time was about dusk with available light. They are as they came from the camera, only reduced in size. Let me know what you think.

Ashley1.

Ashley2.

Ashley3.

Thanks

2. I like the last one! Great composure! Love the moles and necklace!
    Was this the 18-55?
    Tim

3. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    Well Dan, I'm by no means the final say on this, but here's my impression. You daughter is very pretty, brown eyes and hair, and nice smile. I really like the first picture, nice lighting, however it looks a bit soft to me around the edges of her face. Maybe try a little USM to correct this.

I don't care for the 2nd pose. Her fist clench so tight makes me think she's about ready to deck the camera person. I see what you were trying to do with the background and I like the high lighting around her hair. But I find the background a little distracting.

I also like the 3rd image.

Doug

4. They're okay but need some basic adjustments and sharpening to bring them to life.

You may find these tutorials helpful.

[tutiki]Beautiful_Skin_by_Czechman[/tutiki]

[tutiki]Basic_Photo_Adjustments[/tutiki]

5. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    I think her skin is already flawless, so no hardcore post processing is necessary.

But as others mentioned some Unsharp Mask is pretty much required for each photo to look its best.

Another note, I recommend doing some cropping. At least for me, no matter how well I frame a photo when I take it, there is usually stuff I can take out.

In this case, photo 2 could use some cropping. You could still have her off center as you do, but you can take out a lot of repeating background from the left side and a litte from the right and I think the BG will be less of a distraction and do more of what I think you intended.

Good Luck

6. Dan C.

Dan C.

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Tim, Thanks for the comments. I was using the 50mm/1.8.

7. Dan C.

Dan C.

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Doug, Thanks for taking a look. I appreciate any feedback. I am so new at this that it is good to hear what others think. I agree with you on the second pose for your point of view. I just liked it because it fits her personality. Also, since I am so new, what is USM?

8. Dan C.

Dan C.

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Thanks for your thoughts and tutorials, Woody. I just got Capture NX about 2 weeks ago and Photoshop Elements last week. By looking at your tutorials, I have a good amount of work to get competent in photo editing. Thanks again.

9. Dan C.

Dan C.

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Good advice, Samer. As stated above, I will learn about the Unsharp mask. I'll also give cropping a try.

I believe one of my problems is that I approach photography from the more technical side since I lack somewhat of the artistic flow. I am also just learning to pay closer attention to the details of the picture. I find all of this intriguing. So off to work I go...

10. The last shot is quite nice and interestingly composed.

I'm a novice at this. Can you explain why you found bracketing the WB so helpful??

11. I wouldn't worry yourself with WB bracketing if you are shooting RAW. That can always be changed in post-processing and it just bloats the number of files that you'll have. If you're shooting jpg, then it is potentially a good idea, but I'd probably steer you to a white/grey card and a custom white balance instead.

You've got a good start!