1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Senior Session - Dust Off That Camera, Man!

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by j_b_l, Aug 12, 2008.

1. OK, so it has been way too long since I've posted...no excuse other than it's been way too long!

I had a great senior session last week, and I thought I would share some of the images with all of you!

A smile to get the session started (this was, no lie, the first image I made):

[​IMG]

Her Mom wanted some serious shots...

[​IMG]

And another...

[​IMG]

Back to the smiles...

[​IMG]

And lastly a serious one in Black and White at her request...

[​IMG]

For you lighting geeks out there, the studio shots were with my AB800s through softboxes, and the outdoor shots were with a single SB800 through an umbrella triggered with my SU-800.

All in all it was a great session, but I'm glad I just do this for fun...way too much stress for me.

**ADDED***

Here's another one...high key. I'm not really a high-key guy, but the mom wanted one...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Excellent...seniors this beautiful are easy to work with when they want to smile.

3. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Gorgeous shots! I really like the last, there's just something about it.

I agree with Seneca, it's a lot easier when they want to smile. It's pretty tough when they don't want to or fake smile the whole time.

4. Oh, I'm so glad you are back. You've been missed and these photos show why!!

5. These are very nice senior photos, bet both her mom and the subject were pleased. I really like the fence lead in line on image #4.

6. These are overall excellent. The ONLY things I don't like is the hand position in the B&W and the way her shirt blends into the BG in the second image... it makes her arms and head appear disconnected, but that's such a minor nit on an otherwise very professional set of images.

A pleasure to see your post.

7. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Very nice work John. It's good to see a post from you.

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Beautiful work! You seem to have master those lights pretty well, the girl sure is beautiful as well.

9. You know it...she was great to work with, and her mom was very appreciative...a win-win!

Jordan, thanks.

Terri, thanks. I loved your family shot...very professional. Off to Wyoming today for a much deserved vacation! It will be good to get back to the mountains for a while.

Gordan, thanks...that was my wife's favorite as well.

Woody, thanks...it felt good to get back behind the camera after so long with just family snaps.

Fred, thanks...

Linda, thanks!!

10. I was just thinking the other day about PM'ing you to see where you fell off :wink: Glad to see you posting again.

This is pro work man. #3 and 5 are my favorites.

11. jimmyc1000

jimmyc1000

Jun 14, 2006
    Excellent series. Lots to learn from here. Love the third one. Do you remember where you placed the SB800 and umbrella in relation to the model? What were you aperture and shutter speed? Thanks for posting.

12. Brian, thanks...it's just been a crazy summer around here...

13. Welcome back! These are an excellent series! No cc that hasn't been covered already. Hope you hang around more often now! :) 

14. You can see the catchlight in her eyes...it was about 45 degrees camera right...I'm a camera-right-key-light kind of guy :wink:

EXIF was 1/80, f3.5, ISO100.

Appreciate the comments.

15. Well, OK. Twist my arm... :wink:

16. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    John!! Great to see you pal!

#'s 2, 3 and 4 are dyn-o-mite!! She should be thrilled!

Well done!

17. A lovely young lady, very well shot John.
    I just love the first one, very spontaneous - great going for an session opening shot!

18. Stu, thanks. It's good to be shooting again...

Frits, thanks. I knew it was going to be a good session after that shot... :biggrin:

19. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    ITs good to see you again John. I think all your images a very good, but 3 and 5 are my favorite. I like 2 also, her shirt just blends a little bit to much with the bg though. Very profesional indeed!

20. great series, john
    i learn every time woody gives advice
    the hand position in the b/w...
    i wouldn't have thought of that

glad to have you back posting here
    these folks are going to go crazy over this session

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.