Senor Suave

Discussion in 'Birds' started by helmet155, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Anyone that shoots with me knows my love for Pelicans...

The composition could be better (to include full reflection?) but I really like this one.

Please critique.

-Brett

[​IMG]

PS Who says Sigma 300/2.8 + 2.0x TC is not sharp

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Brett
    another nice day shooting with you.
    You already hit it all the reflection would of been sweet.
    A little noise reduction on the background only may help as well, but that's my personal taste.

3. Yes I agree on the noise in the background, will work on that when I figure out how ;)

I've got some with a full reflection maybe I'll post them up later...

As always nice shooting with you today, I blew all my BIF shots but I have some nice birdie portraits...

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

If you use PSC2, just select the background with Magic Wand then feather by about 5 pixels. then select filter/noise reduction and play with the settings there until you find a pleasing effect (make sure you have preview check so you can see what the filter does).

some folks use a seperate NR program, but I have had good luck with the one in PhotoChop
    :biggrin:

I haven't had a chance to really work on many of mine from today or yesterday.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

I love Pelicans also. As to my comments on this image, I'm not too bothered by the noise, although using the technique that Ben outlined probably would eliminate that concern altogether. The exposure is pretty good, and I don't mind missing the reflection to get the bird a higher percentage of the frame.

Overall, I like it.

6. I like the shot Brett. I see the noise but sometimes feel that monitor noise and print graininess appear differently in each medium. I think that photographic paper (and the imaging process) handles noise better then computer monitors... But that's just my 2 cents! (I tend to call it texture... :biggrin: )

I'd like to see the reflection shots as well. I find myself framing for reflections now.

7. Question: How do you come up with 1600mm??? 300m lens, 1.5 crop factor, TC 2.0...

8. Very nice The reflection being cut off doesnt bother me and the noise is at very acceptable levels but the suggestions given to you would remedy hat quickly

9. Nice image with good detail in white pelican. I like it.

10. Brett:

Coming late, but only the reflection would be my thought. The noise does not bother me and the sharpness of the image is great.

Gil

11. Brett I like it.. WOuld make a nice large print...

12. Honestly, I don't know...the Print EXIF script puts that in there...must be confused with the Sigma gear?? I need to check the script settings and make a change...

13. Thanks everyone for the comments. when I have some PP time I will post some of Mr. Suave with full reflection...

As for the noise, this was shot at ISO400 - I surely expected less noise than is displayed here.

Sepulveda is nice, just wish the Osprey and Kingfisher would follow my instructions for flight paths in the future ;)

14. Great pelican !! I wouldn't really worry about the noise. I don't think that is ever the first thing the average viewer notices.
    Compositionally speaking, I would clone out the reflected beak so that after the eye has traveled down the long beak it continues along the birds body to the left to the yellow on the leg instead of getting "stuck" at the bottom of the photo on that little triangle of yellow. (From the yellow on the leg, you then travel forward along the bird's body back to the eye/head.)
    Question:how pink are those bird's beaks?? I was sort of wondering whether bringing out that pink was legitimate or not for this pelican ??
    I might also move the copyright tag to the left or make it smaller, not sure...
    Well, sigh, I sure wish **I** had taken this photo <grin>.

15. There not much to complain about this shot it is really nice, I wouldnt worry about the nise ont he dark, one is drawn to the white bird. It is a matter of test an compostion, I would have tried to get the bird in portrait so that one could see the whole reflection, but that is just me. I agree that the beak reflection is a tiny bit distracting....

Goes on the wall I hope?

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Exellent picture Brett. Extremely sharp and well composed. The noise is there in the background but unless it shows up in the print its not a real issue. I will usually run NR (I use Digital Gem) on the background.