Sensor Brush?? (Sensor Cleaning)

Anybody ever use any of the static charged sensor brushes? With my macro images and my D7000, I find I am having to use the Copperhill kit about every 3-4 weeks and I HATE using it....it often takes me 2-3 tries as it seems to streak and I'm always worried I'll mess it up. Wondering if the sensor brushes work as a potentially easier way for me to clean the sensor.

Thoughts? Experiences??

Rocket blower for dust so your not making contact with the filter.

Rocket blower does absolutely nothing....actually, I take that back. Rocket blower makes it about 10 times worse.

I'm actually thinking a lot of it might be oil drops instead of dust.

Rocket blower does absolutely nothing....actually, I take that back. Rocket blower makes it about 10 times worse.

I'm actually thinking a lot of it might be oil drops instead of dust.

It must be the blower has solved most every spot I've gotten. My D40 was a mess and Copperhill took care of it, that one the blower did nothing to help.

I never had any luck with a sensor brush. The one that comes with the copper hill kit in particular. It just seemed to make more of a mess than I started with. I probably wasn't using it right.

Now I use three tools for sensor cleaning. First I try the rocket blower. That seems to work well enough most of the time. I try not to get too crazy over the whole process. If I can't see dust physically on the sensor and it doesn't show up in my normal photography the I don't worry about it. I don't get excited if something shows up at f22+.

If rocket blower doesn't work then I use SensorPen. That has always seemed to work well for me and gets the job done pretty quickly.

If there is something more persistent then I'll use the copper hill fluid method. Like you it can take me several tries. Not so much due to smears, but due to more dust showing up right away. (Not sure why)

In the past year of quite active shooting I've rocket blown the sensor a few times, sensorpenned it once, and haven't needed the fluid at all.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Is it a genuine Giottos Rocket blower or not? The genuine ones have fins at the back and a red nozzle and are made by Giotto.

I had a similar product I bought from a camera store. It was a disaster. Every puff added another 20 to 50 blobs. I then bought a genuine one, and it never adds blobs.

So avoid the ones that are not the real thing.

I've had the same problem with a Giottos Rocket blower when using it on my D700. Always left extra dust. I think there may have been a little oil on the sensor, probably thrown there by the mirror mechanism. Ended up doing wet cleanings instead.

Haven't had the same problem with my D200. Blower usually works on it.

It is a genuine Giottos Rocket Blower. I guess I will stick to wet cleanings which is probably best since it is probably partially oil spots.

I have recently had good luck with the Copper Hill sensor brush.

Many people have complained about oil or dust spots on a new D600. Mine was fine until about 2000 shots, then a large dust blob showed up. I tried the Rocket Blower, and it didn't help. I then got out the sensor brush, charged the tip by blowing with the Rocket Blower about 50 squeezes, wiped the LPF gently, and the blob was gone. Same thing happened a few weeks later, and I cleared it the same way.

I'm up to about 3700 shots on the D600 and still a very happy camper. :smile:

I have recently had good luck with the Copper Hill sensor brush.

Many people have complained about oil or dust spots on a new D600. Mine was fine until about 2000 shots, then a large dust blob showed up. I tried the Rocket Blower, and it didn't help. I then got out the sensor brush, charged the tip by blowing with the Rocket Blower about 50 squeezes, wiped the LPF gently, and the blob was gone. Same thing happened a few weeks later, and I cleared it the same way.

I'm up to about 3700 shots on the D600 and still a very happy camper. :smile:

Awesome. It sounds like it might be worth giving it a try.

My plan of attack for a sensor spot is the blower, then the Copper Hill brush and if those methods don't get the spot, as a last resort I use the Copper Hill wet method. Between the 3 methods, I eventually get the spot. Cheers, Bill P.

Latest threads

Top Bottom