Sensor Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Dacali, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Dacali

Dacali

Aug 30, 2007
    Texas
    I think I need to clean my sensor... Anyone have any suggestions for a wet/swab solution?

It looks like specks of something clear landed on it and dried.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Dan

2. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi Dan,

The few times I have had spots they were all dark. I am not sure what would cause these lighter spots. What works for me is the blower, if that does not work I have a static brush, and if the spots are still there I use a sensor cleaner from Copperhill with a Pec Pad and Eclipse fluid. Note that the eclipse fluid comes in two types depending on the type of sensor you have.

The Copperhill site has tutorials that describe the process. I found them very helpful, and the company was great to work with.

Good luck. I still don't like sticking anything in the sensor area, but the process does work well and I have had no complaints.

3. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I use an old Digipad with PecPads and Eclipse too. Works a treat. One word of advice to the OP. Make sure you clean out the mirror chamber, using a brush and a blower. That makes a big difference in my experience. Take care not to touch the mirror and shutter though.

4. Dacali

Dacali

Aug 30, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks! I just ordered a Copper Hill kit to clean my sensor.

Dan

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Make sure the Eclipse is the right formula for your sensor. My D100 and D2x both use the original flavor, the D300 needs the Eclipse 2.

6. Max

Max Guest

I personally use a blower first (make sure the camera is turned upside down so the dust can fall out), then Photographic Solutions sensor swabs and Eclipse. That combo seems to work really well...