Sensor cleaning question.

I am about to try to clean the sensor in my D2X. How do I lock-up the mirror and open the shutter without using the EH-6 AC adapter? When I go to the "Set-Up" menu, it will not allow me to select the Mirror Lock-up option.

MLU only works when the AC adaptor is plugged in. The only other way is the Bulb setting, which I personally don't recommend.

Hi Ron,

You might want to see if someone coming to the shoot is bringing his adapter and cleaning the camera there. I only have the EH-5 adapter for the D-100 (required for MLU) and the D-70 (not required for MLU). I will have all the supplies to do the cleaning using the "copperhill" method.http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

See you there,
Bob

Real Name
Chris
I clean my sensor by putting the camera in bulb and holding down the button. Since it only takes a couple seconds to swab, bulb provides more than enough time to do everything you need to. I have bought 'Sensor Swabs' from the same company that makes the ultra-filtered methanol, Eclipse.

I was nervous the first time, but I followed the included instructions, and it went well - now it's no sweat.

Relax.

I clean my D100 in bulb mode with full battery. I don't know what happened if electricity goes off with adaptor attached ?

I use pec-pads and eclipse liquid.

Regards, Ales

Ales said:
I clean my D100 in bulb mode with full battery. I don't know what happened if electricity goes off with adaptor attached ?

I use pec-pads and eclipse liquid.

Regards, Ales
I wondered about that too Ales.
Thanks everyone.

Real Name
Chris
Ales said:
... I don't know what happened if electricity goes off with adaptor attached ? ...
Try it! Attach the adapter, open the shutter with mlu and then pull the plug (without anything in the way!) Does the shutter slam shut?

D

dbirdsong

Chris101 said:
Try it! Attach the adapter, open the shutter with mlu and then pull the plug (without anything in the way!) Does the shutter slam shut?

I am not sure that is a good ideal either....

UPDATE: Sensor is Cleaned!

It was a fairly simple matter when all was said and done. I couldn't find the EH6 AC Adapter readily available here, so I decided to go ahead and do the Mirror Lock/Bulb combination as a last resort, as I plan to attend the Merritt Island function later this week and really needed to remove some condensation residue and dust particles from the sensor. I had my wife hold the shutter down and I cleaned the sensor at a liesurely pace. I used the Copper Hill products and they worked beautifully. As it turns out, it's not brain surgery.

It is not good idea to hold down button. I use cable release with lock (screw) mechanism. And I put camera on tripod.

If you hold button down by hand,you are calling for troubles. Specialy if you hold camera in hand.

Ales

Chris101 said:
Well, it's whats gonna happen if your power cuts out while cleaning. Bulb is a safer way to clean the sensor!

Good point, never thought of that actually. Next time I clean my sensor I will need to make sure I plug it into my computers surge protector (gives me 15 minutes of batt power should the power go out).

S

Seymore

My D70 cleaning procedure...

(someone correct me if there is an issue with this... that I'm not aware of)

Actually, when I need to clean the sensor in the D70, I do the following:
Menu \ Setup Menu \ Mirror Lock-up and then I pull the battery. The mirror will stay up, and the shutter open. Along with this, the CCD will not be charged. Time to clean the CCD...

And, when you put the battery back in, you'll get an ERR till you press the shutter. Thus ends my cleaning schedule...

Latest threads

Top Bottom