sensor dust on new d300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Bradford O, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Bradford O

Bradford O

Feb 16, 2007
    Olympia, Wa
    To my horror, I discovered three faint dust spots, each which would be about 1/2 inches on a 9.5x14 print, on my D300 which is barely three weeks old and has been shod with the same 18-200 vr almost all the time. I've done the mirror-lockup thing, blasted the sensor with a Giotto Rocket and have done the dust-off routine on startup all the time, yet the dust spots still are there.
    Oddly, the Giotto routine works wonders on my D200 and any dust spots to show up there are more pronounced yet much smaller than on the D300. Short of shipping the D300 off to Nikon, any suggestions? I might just have to deal with the dust spots with the clone tool in Photoshop.

2. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

can you actually see the spots on the sensor?

3. Bradford O

Bradford O

Feb 16, 2007
    Olympia, Wa
    Re: Sensor dust on 300

To my untrained eye, the sensor looks clean -- that is, spotless. After my original post, I launched a third attack on the sensor with the Giotto Rocket, blasted the hell out of it again. The spots still are there, but even less pronounced than they were at the earlier writing. At this point, I don't think it's worth it letting the Nikon folks have my beloved D300 for the two to three weeks of shop time. I should be able to find an effective band aid in PS or NX2.

4. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Could it be on the lens maybe? Probably not, but slap a different lens on there if you have one and check it out. It happened to me once. (It was on the rear element on the back of the lens)

5. mathjak107

mathjak107

Mar 20, 2007
    nyc
    mine too, brand new has one sensor spot. its no big deal i clone it out whenever it shows. ill wait until i need service and then deal with it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.