Sensor Gel-Stick

At first I found this item to be interesting for my Nikon's, but I decided against it since the Eyelead web site specifically warns about Sony mirrorless use. Apparently it can pull off something (low pass filter?) from the sensor. Not sure why this would be so since I always thought that the Nikon sensors were made by Sony, but I am not one to go against such a specific caveat.

Edit - I misstated the reason why it is not recommended for Sony mirrorless. The low pass filter warning came from a different "critic". This is the Gel Stick explanation rom photographylife website

Product Advisory: Sony’s proprietary coating technology on its mirrorless cameras might cause the Sensor Gel Stick to leave some residue on the surface of the sensor filter, which will require thorough wet cleaning. The residue can be removed with a wet cleaning solution, but might take significant effort to clean it. Therefore, we recommend that you do NOT use the Sensor Gel Stick on Sony mirrorless cameras listed below. The manufacturer of the Sensor Gel Stick is working on a different solution to clean Sony sensors, so we are planning to start offering a Sony-specific version of the Sensor Gel Stick soon.

Here is the list of Sony camera models that are affected: Sony A7R, Sony A7, Sony A5000, Sony A6000, Sony NEX-7, Sony NEX-6, Sony NEX-5 (all models), Sony NEX-3 (all models). We have not heard of any other reports regarding other brand cameras.

And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I have never had a problem cleaning any sensor with a pec pad moistened with Pec cleaner rubber banded on to a plastic knife. Works like a charm. Just saved myself $50.

Last edited:
for what it's worth, I used my Eyelead stick a few days ago, not happy, did the stickie paper, then on the sensor, left rectangle marks on sensor like at the edges, had to come back with wet clean, took 3 times to remove................

Just to reiterate RE: my post #42, last I used the eyelead was July 16, now I used it again today after thoroughly dabbing the sticky pad on stick paper on all sides edges and corners prior to dabbing on sensor, and same result, I bought this from Photography Life, I will go back to old swab cleaning, here is a sample of the problem.

this thing is going in the drink.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had to go back once as well. The spots disappeared when I pressed down a bit harder on the sensor. Those vertical streaks are weird, not sure that's dust.

those streaks are from the gel stick, each press would leave a mark on sensor from the edges from the stick, I try pressing lightly to clean streaks with gel stick to no avail, I will clean now with sensor swab like before, like the stick is contaminated, I may send them an email.

Here is the deal, I wrote Photographic Life and explained the problem I'm having with my stick along with the photo above, they will honor their product and will swap it out for another one, he said there should be NO marks left at all, SOOOO! .............so far sound like a stand up company even though my complaint is about 3 months later. YIPPIE!!!

I just used mine first time as the lens pen had a little trouble. It picked up everything and was an EyeLead from Photography Life.

I bought two, a Pentax for the M9 because that is what Leica uses and the EyeLead for the M8 and all the Nikons. I dislike Eclipse because I dislike liquids although I will use it as a last resort. I can travel with the sticky wands also.

Here is the deal, I wrote Photographic Life and explained the problem I'm having with my stick along with the photo above, they will honor their product and will swap it out for another one, he said there should be NO marks left at all, SOOOO! .............so far sound like a stand up company even though my complaint is about 3 months later. YIPPIE!!!
Wow, that's pretty cool, even if rather tardy. Hopefully, the replacement will work properly for you. I haven't gotten around to using mine yet, so this has been an interesting thread for me.

Kerry

Real Name
Randy
since i'm out of 'invisible dust' fx swabs I just ordered one of these
I remember cleaning my D3 and it took 8 swabs so this looks like a bargain and after seeing Glenn's before and after, wow

Is everyone is having this problem with the gel sticks or is it working for some? I've only used mine a couple times and it has worked.

Have two, eye lead and PENTAX for the Leica M9. Eye Lead for Nikons. They work fine.

If you allow the sensor to get filthy, I would wet clean first. I am very cautious changing lenses.

Sensor Loupe and Lens pen is really nice also.

Air blast is first attack, lens pen second, gel stick, wet clean , 1 2 3 repeat. Stop when clean and do not run through whole process.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks, Will. Yes, I use that Prime filter in that manner, all the time, so now I understand the context. Free 2 day shipping is important to me too, and I live in the Detroit Metro area. :)

As for P'Life being the only USA distributor, that's exactly what they claim, in the first paragraph of the product description, with WARNING as the first word, at this link. https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

I generally don't pay more for the same thing either, but when I don't know if it's the identical product, that can be a problem, especially with a sensor cleaning device. But, now that I have an "original" to compare, if something didn't jive, I'd just send it back. Amazon is pretty good about that too.

Kerry
For $8 more and it lasts years, I ordered from PL

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom