Sensor Gel-Stick

I've been pleased with the Sensor Gel Stick. It's saved me quite a bit of money (and convenience) as I've been able to clean my own sensor adequately without resorting to having it professionally cleaned. Here's a blog entry that I posted about my experience with the product:
http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2014/8/so-far-so-good

Since then, I've done a couple of more cleanings. Before long, I'll be posting another blog entry about the Sensor Gel Stick. My most recent experiences are more favorable than my initial try in that I was able to clean the sensor more quickly.

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn. I remembered you had recommended this product but couldn't find your post.

I'm at a loss to understand how the reviewer could have damaged his sensor since I've seen so many good reviews. Photography Life does report horror stories about the Chinese knockoffs, but the reviewer claimed his was an original from Germany.

I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Glenn. I remembered you had recommended this product but couldn't find your post.

I'm at a loss to understand how the reviewer could have damaged his sensor since I've seen so many good reviews. Photography Life does report horror stories about the Chinese knockoffs, but the reviewer claimed his was an original from Germany.

I think I'll give it a try.
Hi Jim...

Having used the product, I think it would be difficult to damage the sensor by using it. The sensor is a lot more durable than a lot of people give it credit for. Unless you are using something that might scratch the surface, you should be OK. The key is to make sure the sticky surface is clean before applying it to the sensor. The method for accomplishing this is by placing the surface of the Gel Stick on the even stickier paper that's provided! That transfers anything on the Gel Stick to the paper. Then, you use the Gel Stick to remove particles from the sensor.

Glenn

Jim, I have been using these since a few years (since my Leica days). This video is where I saw it first (check at about 15'30").
I have been using them since on my Nikons and love it. After a wet clean there is often a speck or 2 left, which is where the stick comes in. Results in a perfectly spotless sensor.
As you can see in the Leica video, no reason to baby these. I really cannot see how you can damage a sensor with it.
As an aside, I have a LED sensor loupe that I use to catch the last little dust specks. Very useful.

Question: Dust transfers onto the gel. Then you put the dust from the gel onto a stickytape.
How easy is it and how cheap is it to buy more stickytape?

I do not want to: transfer the dust from gel to plain adhesive tape and simultaneously transfer adhesive from tape to gel
then transfer the adhesive (silicone oil comes to mind from silicone adhesives) to the sensor! Must use a good clean stickytape!

Question: Dust transfers onto the gel. Then you put the dust from the gel onto a stickytape.
How easy is it and how cheap is it to buy more stickytape?

I do not want to: transfer the dust from gel to plain adhesive tape and simultaneously transfer adhesive from tape to gel
then transfer the adhesive (silicone oil comes to mind from silicone adhesives) to the sensor! Must use a good clean stickytape!
There is a pad with stickytape included. So far I have only used a couple of sheets with many left in the pad.
Should be good for a number of years.
But what after? Not sure of the stick has an endless life. Maybe after a few years use it would be time to just get another kit altogether?

Jim, I have been using these since a few years (since my Leica days). This video is where I saw it first (check at about 15'30").
I have been using them since on my Nikons and love it. After a wet clean there is often a speck or 2 left, which is where the stick comes in. Results in a perfectly spotless sensor.
As you can see in the Leica video, no reason to baby these. I really cannot see how you can damage a sensor with it.
As an aside, I have a LED sensor loupe that I use to catch the last little dust specks. Very useful.

Thanks, Frits. I had heard that Leica used these but hadn't seen the video. Using these, I didn't think wet cleaning was required.

Thanks, Frits. I had heard that Leica used these but hadn't seen the video. Using these, I didn't think wet cleaning was required.
I agree, wet cleaning is not required per se. Especially with the stick often this is all you need.
But every now and again - much less often - I will give mine an overall wet clean.

there are fake ones out there, Canon is even advertising in Magazines, you can not tell the difference till you open or use an item.
I am not to happy with Amazon lately, I order something, then a suggestion of accompany item pops up, main item get here in 2 days, the pop up item get here in 4-6 weeks, from CHINA...........I AM NOT HAPPY!

Last edited:
there are fake ones out there, Canon is even advertising in Magazines, you can not tell the difference till you open or use an item.
I am not to happy with Amazon lately, I order something, then a suggestion of accompany item pops up, main item get here in 2 days, the pop up item get here in 4-6 weeks, from CHINA...........I AM NOT HAPPY!

Set filters. Use Prime. I've bought 2 thru Amazon $44.95 and $49.69 and got 'em
both in 2 days. Eyelead/Deutschland in da tin. Cleaned 6 bodies in under an hour
and was immediately "sold" Bought another for travel/back-up. It just works :D

I got mine from Photography Life last year, but haven't used it yet. Now that all my wet clean stuff is used up, this is next up.

Gel%20Stick%201.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Set filters. Use Prime. I've bought 2 thru Amazon $44.95 and $49.69 and got 'em
both in 2 days. Eyelead/Deutschland in da tin. Cleaned 6 bodies in under an hour
and was immediately "sold" Bought another for travel/back-up. It just works :D
I do filter prime Will, it's the pop ups that are not prime, check it out.
My Eyelead just arrived yesterday, from Photographic life, will use mine too when my wet ones are gone.:)

I do filter prime Will, it's the pop ups that are not prime, check it out.
My Eyelead just arrived yesterday, from Photographic life, will use mine too when my wet ones are gone.:)

I don't get pop-ups, AFAIK. I'm not sure what you're talking about, nor do I fully understand what you mean by filtering prime. Can you guys give some more information?

I purchased the Eyelead Gel Stick from Photography Life, because of that warning about them being the only authorized USA distributors. Would they lie about that? Dunno. Right now, it's $5 cheaper on Amazon, from a company called ACTC....

thanks
Kerry

Kerry, Amazon has a filter to just show products that are Prime eligible. Free 2 day shipping
(important when you live in the desert SW) I've found if you throw 'em in your cart you see
coupons/discounts appear from time to time. P'life is NOT the "only distributor" I won't pay
more for the same thing. Know of 3 vendors that ship the identical stick for less. That's just me. ;)

Thanks, Will. Yes, I use that Prime filter in that manner, all the time, so now I understand the context. Free 2 day shipping is important to me too, and I live in the Detroit Metro area. :)

As for P'Life being the only USA distributor, that's exactly what they claim, in the first paragraph of the product description, with WARNING as the first word, at this link. https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

I generally don't pay more for the same thing either, but when I don't know if it's the identical product, that can be a problem, especially with a sensor cleaning device. But, now that I have an "original" to compare, if something didn't jive, I'd just send it back. Amazon is pretty good about that too.

Kerry

Latest threads

Top Bottom