Sensor size and focus stacking -- LOTS ABOUT FOCUS STACKING

Focus Bracketing is the same as Nikon's Focus Shift. Both of those require the use of a computer to do the Focus Stacking afterwards.
Not all manufacturers require the stacking to be done afterward using a computer. As you know, Olympus will stack in-camera up to 15 focus-bracketed images. If you want to focus bracket more than 15 images using an Olypmus camera, than the stacking must be done afterward in a computer. If you limit the Olympus bracketing to 15 or fewer images, you can configure the camera to stack them and if you don't like the result, you can later user a computer to stack them. Nikon has no built-in focus stacking, so their focus-bracketed images, regardless of the number of them, must be stacked afterward using a computer.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
That being the case, the video is very misleading. The guy explicitly tells the user to focus the camera in the middle of the subject to begin capturing the series of images.

The manual (version 4) for the Olympus E-M1 explains focus bracketing as follows: "Focus moves successively farther from the initial focus position."
If he was talking about the focus stacking feature then he would be correct, focus on the most important part of the subject. But if he was talking about the focus bracketing feature, then he was wrong, one should start on the nearest point.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks Richard for the input, and the tactful way in which you presented it.

However, I am a little confused as to why at least one commentator on Youtube suggests that the initial point of focus should not be minimum focus because the camera focuses closer before starting the series?

Perhaps these videos are out of date and an update from someone such as yourself would be beneficial. It is possible to SEE the Focusing taking place on a Nikon Z setup - perhaps a video showing what happens with the Olympus would help?

DG
The guy on YouTube was confusing the two features, or he was just confused.

When you take the photos whether bracketing or stacking, I immediately review all the photos very quickly. One can immediately see where the focus was for each photo, and if one has got it right. Was the increment right? Has it focussed far enough away?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
But only jpeg?
It can take all the images as raw and jpg if you like.
The end result for in-camera stacking is jpg. But you can always take the raw images and do the raw processing and stacking on the computer if you want to, as well.

I expect you realise that it is logically impossible to stack raw files, they have to be converted to images for stacking to be possible.

If he was talking about the focus stacking feature then he would be correct, focus on the most important part of the subject. But if he was talking about the focus bracketing feature, then he was wrong, one should start on the nearest point.
The video is confusing. Even though its title refers to focus stacking and even though that is the most important topic of the video, he spends more time talking about configuring the focus bracketing than the focus stacking. That's because, at least as I understood his explanation, the focus bracketing must be configured before being able to enable the focus stacking.

He created a separate video where supposedly the most important topic is just the focus bracketing (not the focus stacking).

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The video is confusing. Even though its title refers to focus stacking and even though that is the most important topic of the video, he spends more time talking about configuring the focus bracketing than the focus stacking. That's because, at least as I understood his explanation, the focus bracketing must be configured before being able to enable the focus stacking.

He created a separate video where supposedly the most important topic is just the focus bracketing (not the focus stacking).
You go into the focus bracketing menu, then turn the Stacking option On or Off, then set the number of shots and the focus differential. Very simple, no need for a video about it...

Regardless what manufactures call the function, IMO, Olympus has one of the best implementations for field work. It was better, IMO, until the last firmware update. Fuji comes a close second. Being able to compose the subject and select whether you use bracketing or not with the simple push of a button. As most of the focus stacks I take, the subject is low to the ground, fiddling with the cameras menu I find cumbersome. I generally take one or two images at different aperture and one set of focus bracketing at a lower aperture. This gives me the flexibility at home to chose which one best suits the subject.

As some of the subjects I photograph are moist and in darkish conditions, e.g. fungi, being able to manual focus is important. Therefore selecting manual focus on the camera, Olympus, and Fuji allow this, likewise you can select it in CamRanger, ensures the camera is not changing the focus point I have selected.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Regardless what manufactures call the function, IMO, Olympus has one of the best implementations for field work. It was better, IMO, until the last firmware update. Fuji comes a close second. Being able to compose the subject and select whether you use bracketing or not with the simple push of a button. As most of the focus stacks I take, the subject is low to the ground, fiddling with the cameras menu I find cumbersome. I generally take one or two images at different aperture and one set of focus bracketing at a lower aperture. This gives me the flexibility at home to chose which one best suits the subject.

As some of the subjects I photograph are moist and in darkish conditions, e.g. fungi, being able to manual focus is important. Therefore selecting manual focus on the camera, Olympus, and Fuji allow this, likewise you can select it in CamRanger, ensures the camera is not changing the focus point I have selected.
What was it in the last firmware update that made it less good? The improved number of images for stacking, going up from 8 to 15 was good. But perhaps that was an earlier update.

What was it in the last firmware update that made it less good? The improved number of images for stacking, going up from 8 to 15 was good. But perhaps that was an earlier update.
Olympus followed Fuji and reset the focus point back to the start position at the end of the focus bracketing. The reason I ended up going to Olympus in the first place was because it left the focus where the bracketing finished. Just like CamRanger did. This allowed me to see where it had stopped, and if needed, I could easily take another set. Another reason why manual focus is important to me.
I was going to have one of my bodies firmware rolled back, but have got used to it for native orchids. Today I’m out chasing fungi, so will see if I’m still happy with the new firmware. Yes, I realise I can review the images, but not really suitable when the camera is virtually in mud in a leech infested location :)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Olympus followed Fuji and reset the focus point back to the start position at the end of the focus bracketing. The reason I ended up going to Olympus in the first place was because it left the focus where the bracketing finished. Just like CamRanger did. This allowed me to see where it had stopped, and if needed, I could easily take another set. Another reason why manual focus is important to me.
I was going to have one of my bodies firmware rolled back, but have got used to it for native orchids. Today I’m out chasing fungi, so will see if I’m still happy with the new firmware. Yes, I realise I can review the images, but not really suitable when the camera is virtually in mud in a leech infested location :)
Why not simply review the last image, it should all be blurred showing it has gone more than far enough. If it didn't, increase the number of images.

Why not simply review the last image, it should all be blurred showing it has gone more than far enough. If it didn't, increase the number of images.
Not always easy to do, unless I get down and personal with the camera. :)

I’m waiting for the Fuji X-T4 to be released, along with the new Olympus. If the X-T4 includes the same functionality as the X-Pro3 where you select the start and end points and the camera works out the number of images based on the camera settings, then I’ll more than likely go down that path. Olympus may also include this function In the new camera. Not long to wait to find out.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom