sensor sized IR filter

do i really have to pay lifepixel $95 dollars to have them send me a sensor sized filter to replace the IR cut one already on the camera? or is there somewhere else to buy them? i suppose $50 sounds more fair, but $30 for a 52mm one sounds pretty nice if i can cut it to size...

has anybody figured any methods besides paying all the money to block visible light for converting a d70...

also... if i DO cut it, what would be the best way? and does anybody know the exact dimensions (of the filter (i'm assuming the sensor is a tiny bit smaller))

-drew

i have a d70 that cost me almost nothing, and besides a very dirty viewfinder, seems to be working great. i'm not ever against tearing something apart as a little project. so IR here i come!

also... if i just remove the AA filter from the sensor... is there going to be focusing issues? (this is also refered to as "hot rodding")

:EDIT: i've read how easy it is to adjust focus calibration for the D70... shouldn't be an issue

i imagine cutting your own filter is very difficult without chipping the edges, also finding a filter the proper thickness may be an issue. i cant help you there.

as for just removing the AA filter from the sensor, no you should not have focus issues shooting IR, at least i can say that i do not have focus issues. I opened my camera, removed the internal filter pack and put my camera back together with nothing over the ccd (i use it for IR and UV).

charlie, well thanks for the info. you must just choose what type of light you want to block at the moment and put the filter on the lens? i want this to be a hand holdable... and composable camera, otherwise i would entertain that idea also. i like playing around with the r72. but there has to be SOMEWHERE that will sell me a "sensor filter" for less than $100... (i've been told an exposed piece of film works... but not AS well)

yes, i choose which filter i want and put it on the lens. i would like a dedicated IR camera so i could use a filter on the sensor, but then i would need a dedicated UV camera too. so yes i am shooting blind, not really, i use the AF-1, compose then close it and take the shot.

ive never tried using film myself, but have heard the same as you about it.

Real Name
Chris
Drew, you can get an 89B or stronger gelatin filter and cut it to size. To me, considering the trouble it would be to fir it exactly, plus the materials cost, Lifepixel's price does not sound bad.

Real Name
Dr Klaus Schmitt
A dutch colleague of mine broke his D70 by doing the same what you try to do - save a few bucks. Is that really worth it..??

well, to be honest, i took this camera in as inoperable to start out with (which reversed itself as soon as it touched my hands) but basically there is no money invested into this camera, and i'd like to keep it (close to) that way. i'm pretty bold when it comes to taking stuff apart (and putting it back together) i just need to be cautioned what to look out for when i'm in there.

if somebody has any first hand experience with lifepixel or a custom IR conversion, PM me please. i'm itching to tear this thing apart.

Lifepixel has a DIY tutorial on their site. The D70 is one of the easier cameras to convert - no soldering involved. You just have watch out for dust and make sure that the ribbon cables are fully seated when re-assembling.

hey guys... yea i've come across the tutorial, and it looks very helpful. i'm still just trying to justify the $95 for life pixels filter(since i paid less than that for the camera) are there any other good options? would the 89b gel filter work well? thanks guys

-drew

You sound like you are looking for touble. :biggrin:

Anything not sized perfectly isn't going to be held down correctly by the clamp that holds down the D70's sensor filter. So you would have to be pretty close dimenionally and thickness too. And if it doesn't sit really flat against the sensor dust will creep in there and show up in your images.

And any flaws on you filter, however microscopic, would show up in your images. Smaller than you can see with your naked eye.

Regret is cheap in this case.

alright alright... well, i'm not totally against lifepixels filter... but i just wanted to know my options if i had any.

still, if anybody has personal advice aside from the tutorials, feel free to pm me.

been considering the same dilema .. even has a friend who is more than eager to help )he'd succesfully converted his 300D)
but I dunno .. one wrong move could kill the camera ..
$ 95 is quite cheap I think... I wish I can get that service here, the cheapest one is abut USD 200

Last edited by a moderator:
also... if i DO cut it, what would be the best way? and does anybody know the exact dimensions (of the filter (i'm assuming the sensor is a tiny bit smaller))

Take the camera apart and remove the AA filter and measure it with a micrometer or whatever those techie types use to measure small things. You'll want your replacement visible light cutoff filter to be the same size. I've seen some DIY IR conversions where several pieces of glass were built up to be the same thickness as the AA filter that's being replaced. The hard part would be to figure out how to cut the glass accurately. I suppose you could sandwich a piece of gelatin filter between two pieces of microscope slide glass cut to size, but I've never tried that, and I've done a bunch of conversions myself.

While exposed, processed E-6 sheet film can be stacked in several layers to provide an IR filter, the best application for that sort of filter is to filter an electronic flash to cut off visible light. There are various combinations of Roscoe filters that can also be used. This is all covered in a book, "Digital Infrared Pro Secrets" which maybe your university's library has in stock. Otherwise, a lot of the same information can be found on the Internet.

Here are a couple links I found useful:

http://home.comcast.net/~zachstern/toyir/toyir.html

http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infrared/INFRARED.HTM

But, by and large, I've found it easiest to go with Lifepixel's visible light cutoff filter. You started out with a D70 that wasn't worth anything, and for a $95 investment you could end up with one that's worth $400 or more to an IR enthusiast. That's a wise investment in my book. My CoolPix 995 wasn't worth much before I converted it, and now I get offers to buy it all the time.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom