1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sentimental attachments to photo equiptment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Connahhh, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I was curious whether or not you guys get attached to your photo gear or things like that. I'm about to sell my D50, my first camera and the one I've used and learned with for so long. It's a local deal and an unbeatable price that I just couldn't pass up and need the money to fund a new body. But it's strange, I let the guy try it today and had a hard time handing it over. Does this happen to anyone else? It's a part of me now and I don't know if I can see it go. I hate selling things in general, I just get really attached to everything I own.

Possible remedies? I know I just need to forget about it and sell it, but I was wondering if this is a common occurrence.

2. When you're young and short on cash any possesion you worked for has a lot of value to you. There's a certain satisfaction in being poor and saving for a long time for your first car or camera or whatever. When you get older and more established your disposable income increases and most people accumulate too much stuff. If something has sentimental value to you and nobody else keep it. Nobody pays for sentimental value...Take care of you girlfriend and loved ones first, everything else is just stuff.........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. Think of it this way (says the dog breeder who has to send off puppies to their new homes):

You've carefully selected a new home who is eager to enjoy their new treasure. If it stayed with you, it would play 3rd fiddle to the D200 and the Hassie. Why let such a good body sit around and not live up to its full potential? Place it with happiness and know that it will be loved. :smile:

4. have a mamiya sekor and honeywell 300 super takumar that I humped around VN for a year that isn't getting sold. Not that it's worth more tha 10 bucks anyway. Still have (and posted) my first 35. a bolsey rangefinder bought used on layaway.
    glenn

5. I wish i still had my beloved graflex, but I still have my first pentax.

6. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Depends... my Dad's ContaxIII will NEVER leave the family.... EVER. Had people lusting over it - and truth is we rarely use it but that stays. Has a full Zeiss lens collection with it... he got in in Germany on occupation duty.

On the other hand, the old 35mm my wife had in college has no real sentimental value.... it was what she could afford at the time..... not so great.... no real value - still have it because nobody interested init.

Nowadays, we'll hold onto good glass forever - pass it down when we die. No need to sell other stuff but we'll pass it on when occasions arise. A friend's 17 year old got a lens assortment.... our own son has a decent lens selection... a D50 with a couple lenses went to our Boy Scout troop for the photography badge....

Still have the D70 that was my first digital SLR - only because it's not worth anything to anyone......

7. No, the old gear is usually funding the new gear, so it's not a heart-breaking scene for me.

Sean

8. Well yes, that too! :smile:

9. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    Most of my gear I could honestly sell it as long as I knew I was getting new gear. However there is one camera and lens that will never leave and that is the old FE that was my Dad's and the 50mm 1.4 ais. That was the camera that he taught me how to really take photographs with not just a quick snap shot like with the old film point and shoots I had early on.

10. It always hurts. I've only sold the important bodies in my life to people I trust. In the case of my first ever DSLR, my old D70, I didn't sell it, but rather my mother and I donated it to my high school's photography club (which was struggling along with film bodies only) for a small tax deduction. Since I happened to be photo club president the next year, and still go back several times a year to help out, I pretty much have visitation and still maintain her in good shape.
    I don't think I could live with myself otherwise.

11. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    My Pentax K1000 will never leave my bag, I've had it for almost 20 years.

Most everything else will most likely get sold or upgraded as time goes by.

12. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I haven't sold any of my gear as of yet, but one thing is sure is that neither my Leica or my Hasselblad are going anywhere any time soon !

13. You may like that camera but it can't like you back.Sell it and move on.It's always good to learn something new(camera etc.)

14. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    It depends... my fathers Zeiss Contaflex is a camera that I never use but no way in hell I'm getting rid of it. Same for the (market value: $5) Zenit-E that I learned photography on. Besides that, given its undestructable properties, I hope to use it one day to teach my son how to use a camera.

Then again, I had no problems selling of my 5D and Minolta lenses to buy Nikon gear. I was very sad the day I lost my Powershot A20 (first digicam) in the park. But if someone had offered my a good price for it I would have sold it without thinking.

Would I sell my fathers camera? Everything has its price, so if enough is offered, probably, yes, but "enough" would be an obscene amount of money. For everything else the sentiment to hold on is pretty much inverse to the market price - if you can get a good price for the D50 I'd let it go. You can always pick up another D50 five years from now and tell your grand children that it was pop-pop's first camera, before he became a big shot photographer - they'll never know the difference :smile:

15. My first digi camera, my CP990, is still with me. It feels like an old friend when I pick it up and turn it on. I don't need the money I could get for it (very little) but I never sold it because of the emotional attachment to it. It was supposed to be only for taking real estate pics for me, but it opened up a whole new world (thanks to Jarrell Conley for SO MUCH help in the beginning). It will always have a special place in my heart so I can understand your predicament.

16. This may seem weird but I still have every camera that I've bought, minus two which I gave to my niece and nephew. I even have the very first Nikon Coolpix 100! All in all, I have about 23 camera's. — 23 camera's but no D3 or D700...maybe next year.

17. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Love the responses everyone, thanks. I'm just going to forget about it and sell it. But I did tell him that if he had plans to sell it, run it by me first. Maybe I can snatch it up later for cheap. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.